Weather's getting a bit better, how much flying you getting in?

Advert

28c, shorts, sandals, sunhats, wall-to-wall blue sky down here today...........and we made the most of the weather

Terry's Foam-E Wot 4 flew well but suffered an intermittent ESC problem so had to be grounded. Seems like a dry joint on the PCB. My Druine Akrobat flew well but a slightly off-piste landing resulted in a bramble runner neatly removing the u/c

Fortunately little, if any, glue had been used in the assembly so a repair is straightforward. Equally fortunately Terry can take a mean piccie so here are a few:

.....and about 1 second before the u/c parted company!;

Couldn't resist getting the Cub out - looks great against a blue sky........:

......or a spring green landscape!

After a pause for lunch (Terry brought some nice fruity French tarts with him which were delicious) it was out looking for some thermals with our Easygliders, Terry's Elektro Junior and my Nebula. Plenty of activity but it was patchy and very bumpy but we did mix it with three buzzards on one occasion.

Lots of flying and a bit of colour into those winter-white legs!

Pete

The Scottish contingent of Waterplane fliers may just have struck it lucky. After a heck of a lot of rain ending last night, it has dried up. Even better the forecast for the weekend at Loch Earn looks to be fairly good. Saturday in particular looks about right, none of this excessive heat the Southrons have to put up with.

Normally when you have a holiday (lucky me!) the weather turns awful, but right now I can't think of any way for it to improve.
Just had an hour of air time with my Raven. Yes, I'm in a very good mood.

Just a few hours back from the first full weekend Splash-ins on the Scottish Waterplane calendar. What a weekend, we can hardly believe that we got two full days of fantastic weather especially since we have just come through some days of pretty heavy rain. What made it better, we only expected the Saturday to be near perfect. BUT TWO DAYS, phew, suntan all round.

I can feel the aerotow pilot's pain, David - but that's a very nice Lizzie. Is it the RCME one?

Hot and windy down at Terry's club field yesterday. A launch of an electrified CMPRO Ventus ended in spectacular fashion after about 0.5 seconds when the motor blew itself through the top of the fus, taking the canopy with it! Little damage to the airframe, fortunately.

The ply bulkhead mount for the motor seems to have been fixed with epoxy and the torque broke the bond and split the top of the nose back to the cockpit. It has got me thinking as I was planning to do the same with my Discus. Perhaps polyester resin will make a better joint to the GRP fus?

Anyway, back to the flying. A very nice Monsun and donkey-driven Spacewalker, both I/C, looked good in the air:

I managed to strip an aileron servo when the Easyglider landed on the hard stuff but enjoyed hovering the little 40" Cub and performing near-vertical take-offs and landings

The Rainbow shrugged off the conditions, too - it has a very wide speed range, particularly with flaperons set. The Sea Fury once again showed that 36" of EPS can look pretty good in the air, well-used though she is!:

Big change in the weather today. Cloudy, drizzle, 16c. Refitted the Druine u/c and re-glued the motor mount (or rather, applied some glue which the manufacturers seem to have overlooked!)

Pete

Super photos Pete,I converted my discus to EP 2 years ago and used a 10mm thick former fixed with standard epoxy ,no problem. What a week end, hot sunny with wind less than 5 except for the thermal fill in ,flew both S2 Pitts ,the Spit, the big Decathlon, a Fun cub and the 3m ep glider.even the students got loads of air time with no prangs.

TW2.

Edited By tom wright 2 on 11/04/2011 01:11:06

Great day too at Elgin and Moray Fliers fly-in at Milltown Airfield near Lossiemouth . It was just too nice and the company so pleasant I did not want to do anything except chat and take photo's. Sad isn't it I think we were all in shock at the Sunshine, and that makes it twice this year for me.

Forecast- check
model- check
flightbox- check
Charge state- check
e-mail- hey guys, flying- check

A very nice afternoon was had today. I will need to cut the grass for the first time this year. WeatherPerson says wet tomorrow so will need to be Wednesday. Weather check, mind the flying gear too

up here in gods own country-we've had a wonderfull day for weather...sun/and a light breeze and best of all 20/22c temps.....down at the club field we had a good turn out of all the regulars...and a few of the fine weather flyers as well..... one model was recovered from it's unplanned landing in the tree's and enrico was holding a 'how to not set up your speed controller'......class in one of the pilot's box's......he sometimes struggle's slightly/a lot with the new fangled equipment we now have avalable......

ken anderson ne..1.(weather station)

I got the grass cut yesterday, the forecast rainy bits stayed away till late evening and lasted about three minutes. Been busy doing essential maintenance and cleaning today, and it being a FANTASTIC FLYING DAY

Tomorrow I need to be part building my latest model,,, think I will go fly for a while on the nice cut grass. Eddie Cochran had it wrong, there iS a cure for the "Summer Time Blues"