Sky TV woes again

Tim Mackey

OK so I fixed the problems I had at Xmas, and the ones earlier last year, but now I have another, and I know we have some DTV experts on here. I have posted the same request on AVf orums, but worth spreading it around.
Heres the AV post.....

Approx 3 yrs old DRX780UK Sky+ HD box feeding Plasma Tv, or mySony HS20 home cinema system via Technics AV system.
On almost EVERY recorded programme SD or HD the sound is out of synch by a loooong way - sometimes a couple of seconds or more.
Its nowt to do with setting audio out delay etc, and the only cure is......

1) Occasionally it will fix if I choose another recorded prog from the planner, Fast fwrd, fast rwnd, play, and generally muck about .
Then return to the original program, and it may be OK.

2) Re-boot the box via wall mains socket, or Settings / Picture/ 401 etc.....

In the last few weeks its been getting worse, and method 1 now rarely works - I would guess that 7 out of 10 progs are affected regularly, and the planner rebuild only works for a night or two, then we are back to square1.

What is the best guess /informed response as to whether a replacement HDD might cure this?
I could do the job myself, and gain the benefit of larger capacity drive at the same time. (My old SD box had IDE and I changed the drive in that successfully)

SATA drives in the STBs these days I believe?

Advert

If the harddrive was faulty and slow, the picture would most likely jerk.

Loss of sync is usually in the software.

From your first posting, I assume you have tried going straight to the TV with sound and picture playing through the TV (ie bypassing the AV amp)
Have you tried it with analogue connections as well as digital?

There is the obvious, Sky Punishment Services to phone, but they will most likely take you through the reset process, then announce there is a fault, which strangely you knew in the first place, which is why you phoned them

Before we went onto freesat, we had numerous sky boxes, and i noticed that if you stood on the stairs, equal didtance between two sky boxes receiving the same programme, there was a very noticable diference in the sound timing, but each one was synced with the picture

Already phoned the sky muppets, and they just suggest the stuff I've already done.
ure theres a slight delay between different TV s in the house, buts thats a different thing, and very slight only, and not a synch-with-picture thing as you say.
Its just the same problem when watching on the TV which is HDMI coupled - AV amp is only used for cinema, with audio via SPDIF.

Posted by Matt Halton on 18/03/2011 09:52:07:
I gave up with Sky a long time ago, too expensive, toomany rubbish programmes and repeat movies, plus having to reset the box as it randomly used to switch off.

If you don't have access to an aerial, or one that can deliver quality pictures, try this:

Free internet TV

We actually like the channel line up on Sky, and I installed our home theatre setup around the HD movies output of the STB - we watch a lot of films, and enjoy the HD discovery and BBC channels. I am not ( and dont particularly want to be ) set up to watch stuff on a PC.

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 18/03/2011 09:58:22:
Already phoned the sky muppets, and they just suggest the stuff I've already done.
ure theres a slight delay between different TV s in the house, buts thats a different thing, and very slight only, and not a synch-with-picture thing as you say.
Its just the same problem when watching on the TV which is HDMI coupled - AV amp is only used for cinema, with audio via SPDIF.

Is it a lot of trouble to connect the picture and sound to the TV through analogue cables?
ie composite or component video and LR stereo sound (or just a scart lead)

Taking the digital from the box then decoding it again at the TV, add a lot of extra stages where there could be an error

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 18/03/2011 10:36:35:
Ill have look and see if I can use a scart only to TV, but with the way its all setup, concealed cabling etc, its a bit of a pain.

Maybe if you borrow a small TV to connect to the sky box with a scart cable just to try it

Hidden cables I wish, have tried my best with trunking, but with four speakers behind us, and the projector that has HDMI, S-video, component video, composite video and VGA cables going to it, then four front speakers, centre cpeaker and two LFE speakers, 3 sat cables, the NTL cable all coming into the stand that holds the equipment, it is not an easy lot to hide. Just a dream for me

What causes lack of synch with an ordinary Freeview box?

We have a cheap Teknika Freeview box which goes out of sync and then in a few minutes catches up again. The other Freeview TV etc work perfectly on this aerial and dont have this problem, so what's the answer? Is it poor specifcations on cheap stuff?

Posted by Steve W-O on 18/03/2011 11:01:23:
Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 18/03/2011 10:36:35:
Ill have look and see if I can use a scart only to TV, but with the way its all setup, concealed cabling etc, its a bit of a pain.

Maybe if you borrow a small TV to connect to the sky box with a scart cable just to try it

Hidden cables I wish, have tried my best with trunking, but with four speakers behind us, and the projector that has HDMI, S-video, component video, composite video and VGA cables going to it, then four front speakers, centre cpeaker and two LFE speakers, 3 sat cables, the NTL cable all coming into the stand that holds the equipment, it is not an easy lot to hide. Just a dream for me

The beauty of a bungalow Steve - everything runs up trunking I made as part of redecorating the walls, and into the ceiling - PJ is ceiling mounted, and screen electric retractable, so once up, no-one even knows we have a system