36" Douglas Skyray

Simon Chaddock

A short rather poor video (white plane against clouds) with the sound track dominated by our dog barking and a tractor mowing the grass but I had to make use of the near still conditions.
Never used full power, even on the launch!
A flight late this evening lasted just over 4 minutes before the ESC started to reduce the power. I must fit the 30C battery.

Advert

Excellent result Simon. Your depron designs demonstrate very well that power = speed ind docile landings = low wing loading.Not a very scientific way of putting it but you know what I mean.
Our shortish runways demand this design philosophy is applied to most of he models we fly.
And now we wait with anticipation the flight of the the "short winged" one. .

I totally agree that it is a remarkable result.

Perhaps the RCM&E should take it on, perhaps with a commercial fan unit, for people like me, not up to making my own.

There is also room for an article, on fabricating with Depron, as both your Skyray and Bachem show you have a good understanding of how to exploit the characteristics of the material.

I have found that Depron is a trade mark, for extruded polystyrene, therefore in principal it is the same as blue and pink foam, although the density is different and is made and supplied in much thinner size.

Apparently Depron type material is used for insulation and leveling of "Laminate" flooring (between floor and laminate). On that basis, there should be more suppliers than B&Q floormate, which I have read is no longer available. Does any one know?

Well done Simon, your Bachem must surely fly on this evidence.

Beautiful day today so I mounted a key fob cam inside the cockpit for a true pilots eye view.
Unusual rather than practical as the cockpit glazing is far from optically flat and the enclosed space makes the sound track rather loud and irritating - you have been warned!

A short 4 minute flight. On a full charge the 1500mAh 3s gives over 10 minutes of gentle flying.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 14/06/2011 16:15:42

• 3 weeks later...
The 'Ray' has now flown quite a few times and even in front of an audience so I no longer have an excuse not to paint it.
No attempt at a high finish (almost impossible on Depron) so just a 'wash' of grey emulsion (underside is left white Depron) and the 'star & bars' top and bottom.
Even so it has added nearly 1/2oz (about 8%) so no fancy squadron decoration!

• 1 year later...

Hi Simon ,

Thanks for coming down to The BMMFC scale day i have taken some pictures and a Video of it flying .

I will post after i have finished going thought the editing .

I must say how great it looks in the flesh . it certainly is a great credit to you yes .

Nice chatting to you .