Peel Ply Static Affect

Danny Fenton

Advert

Rex,

To quote:

"Peel ply is a polyester or nylon cloth material applied to the completed laminate while the resin is still wet. This cloth will not adhere to the layup thus allowing it to be peeled off at a later time, hence the words "peel ply". The application of peel ply is suggested when you are going to complete another laminate at a later time. If you are immediately going to apply another layer of cloth this step is not necessary. Peel ply provides an added benefit of absorbing excess resin from the composite skins."

PS. I looked it up cos' I didn't know either !!

Steve

PPS Thanks Martin you beat me to it !

Edited By Essjay on 26/03/2011 13:23:26

The stuff doesn't end there the biggest benefit to us is that you do not need a second flow coat, and you also do not need to spend hours sanding.

Once you try it you will be amazed at the simplicity and effort saved. Its best for large flat areas.

Cheers
Danny

Quote from one company:

A removable Peel Ply fabric ply is laid onto the surface of the laminate to provide a chemically clean surface for bonding or painting when it is removed after resin cure. Peel Ply can reduce or eliminate the need to sand or further prepare the laminate surface for further painting or bonding. It is suitable for use with all resins systems, epoxy, polyester etc except phenolic resins due to the chemical affinity between nylon and phenolics.

Hi Danny,

That's a good find, so when you apply the glass sheet and then add finishing resin (the first coat to adhere the glass to the wood), would you apply the first coat quite thick opposed to squeegeing the resin as thin as poss.
Once this is done would you apply the ply peel?.

What's the process?, could you run it by me as I'm quite interested.

Cheers,

Craig.

When I was building yachts we used to cover the whole hulls with it, it comes on a 40" roll by whatever length you want, pulling 40 foot of that off in one go gives a good light show in the dark!!

Hi Craig, the glider guys have used the stuff for a while. I first saw some friends in the States use it. I have used it on the Spitfire. There is a detailed explanation of how its used over there.

But basically i lay the glass cloth on the wing then stipple the resin on to afix the cloth, as soon as its all covered, then lay the peel ply on top and press/scrape it down with a credit card or similar. This draws all the excess resin up to the surface, and presses the glass cloth down.
Once it is totally dry (the resin must be brittle) then peel the polyester off, from one corner

You will have some sanding to do at the edges, but thats all.

Cheers
Danny

I am very impressed indeed, I only wish I knew about this stuff before I covered parts of my dh mosquito.
I suppose I could still do the wing with it, but not sure how it would handle the cowls and nacelles.

The amount of rubbing down I have been doing on the rest is daft, I am worried sometimes that I may go through the cloth, saying that though I did a nice job on the fuz minus the runs as its got a lot of curve.

Happy I know this stuff is around for the next build though.

Cheers.

If you are going to use it on the wing you should vac bag it too, lay the glass up, peel ply it, get some bred wrap plastic from your local bakers, the plastic stuff with tiny holes in it, cover the whole job with that then use a breather, you know the fluffy white fleecey jacket type filling thats the breather, if you wrap the whole thing in that then vac bag it the excess resin will be soaked up in the breather making a much lighter stronger laminate.

some sort of habadashory material type place, its just fleecy nylon, I know the likes of euro resins and SP systems sell it but in huge rolls, I will look in to it see if I can find something on line.....

here seems to be the place to get breather in small amounts and it is only 20 mins from my house!

Edited By r6dan on 26/03/2011 17:06:20

Just make sure that the structure will take the pressure, remember just a small amount of suction can crush a light structure. A friend in Australia crushed a foam cored fin using a bag, even with a very low pressure. And the fin was not small as it was for a Lavochkin LA9 at 1/3 rd scale.

An article is a great idea

Cheers
Danny

I have all the info about most grp and pre preg carbon layups and methods rattling around in my big empty head but i am rubbish at explaining how to do things!! I might get around to it.....

Dan thanks for the link there, I'll go ahead and get that nearer the time.
So just to refresh, apply the resin to the cloth liberally without scraping it out, then apply the peel ply and squeegee out the resin like you would normally.
Then lay a bakers bag over the top with the holes in, lay your breather on and then vac bag it.

Jump in if it's wrong.

Oh and Danny thanks for tip on the vac bagging there, I've never done it before and I can be quite rough sometimes.. Probably saved my wing there lol!.

Cheers.