Auto Stabilization FY-20A

James40

Has anyone had a play with these auto stabilization devices?

I've just ordered one to try out in some foamy airframes to see what effect it has in windy conditions when I may be having second thoughts on launching a lighter plane.
I'm also interested in the position hold feature, can these really hold a knife edge?
It's a bit of a gadget but technology seems to be moving pretty damn quickly with auto flight and flight stabilization and I have to admit I'm very impressed at what can be done with such a small box of tricks!

Edited By James40 on 28/03/2011 09:46:32

Advert

Why not for the regular club fliers Eric ?

I'm curious as to peoples views on these devices, many on here and in the BMFA especially are quite "old school" towards modern technology. I'm sure telemetry was frowned upon when it first came out.
A stabilization device could work wonders for a newcomer to the hobby, it would enable them to fly in gusty winds without it being a constant fight and learn the basics of flight before turning the gain down until the unit is no longer needed.

I just received one this morning in the post, an amazing piece of technology in a very small package, the company that makes them also make Chinese weapon guidance systems!

My plan is to install this in a Hangar 9 P-51 PTS and use it as a trainer for my girlfriends father who is just starting out in the hobby, I've flown the PTS this morning to get a feel for it in the wind and I'll be back up again this afternoon with the FY-20 installed to see how it handles with built in stability.

james - i just had a look at some of the vids......and it looks as though it does what it says on the box.......impressed with the indoor vid.....of the model hovering.......let us know how you get on---the test is to line your model up for a landing and close the throttle and put the TX down on the ground.....i've seen it done with another version of the fy-20...and its clever...

ken anderson ne..1.

I installed it last night in the P-51

Very straight forward to install, it was assigned to a 3 position switch on the TX although I had to reassign the flaps to a spare switch.

The 3 modes were tested:
Off, is just that, I'm in total cotrol
3D, the deice will try and hold a position for up to 10 seconds, this should smooth out any manoeuvres, as I move the plane in my hand, the controls give a very slight deflection input and return to standard position.
Flight Stabilization, this should keep the plane flying straight and level no matter what the conditions. In this mode, as I rock the plane the flying controls move to counter any movement and hold the input until the wings are level.

The wind is only 7kts at the moment but it's forecast 15kts gusting 25kts later today, I wouldn't usually fly in those winds and I'm not really willing to try until I've set up the gain correctly for normal flying.
I need to be able to see if the system is over correcting and turn the gain down, I doubt I'd be able to see that if it's being blown all over and trying to compensate?

As for price, I paid £75 including delivery. Not exactly the price of a model and if I was a beginner or even a club, the price of one device may save hundreds in lost models if it works well.

Anyway, this is an experiment for me really, I want to see just how well these things work, model aircraft autopilots are very real and it's only a GPS unit away from what I have here but I'm more interested in increasing the number of days I can get out there flying when I would usually say no because it's too windy.

No, that price isn't bad. I think i got lost in the pages and saw the price of a different model, I thought I saw $280 about.

Will be worth trying.

I tried ordinary headlock gyros, and found one on the rudder helped on take off, and one on the ailerons on landing.

I don't mind flying in the wind, it's the landing part that brings the problems. Landing in a steady wind is fine, no different to landing without wind, but the sudden gusts, and turbulence caused by uneven ground, trees, hedges, parked cars etc etc is what catches me, and causes many throttle sticks to be shoved forward in a hurry.

If it is quick enough to deal with sudden gusts and turbulence on landing, it will be a winner

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
No need to wait for a calm day Eric, it copes nicely with a bit of wind making it feel like you're flying on a calm day.

Do you have it set up with a DX7 so the modes can be switched?
I'm sure you'll love it, mine currently lives in a 90mm EDF Eurofighter Typhoon to help with high angle of attack flying and vectored thrust.

What airframe is it fitted to?

I've got my set-up in my 1410 wing span foam electric Cessna. My transmitter is Dx6i. which means I have only a two way switch;using the gear switch. I'm not into 3D flying so that is no problem. Sure it will cope with the wind but not being to experianced in flying; I'm hoping to be on the field when my ex- Instructor is about! One question I have for you James, if I'm flying in stabillisation mode on a straight line and then I need to turn left or right, do I need to revert to non-stabilisation mode or leave it on ??