2.4GHz and Silver Paint

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if silver paint (most probably Plasticote) on a model will interfere with 2.4GHz reception? The receiver has two "whisker" aerials, and I plan to run one along the underside of the fuselage (which will not be painted silver), but the other one will be fitted vertically inside.

Thanks, Tony S

Advert

I spray paint using Halfords car paints both aerosol and mixed at the counter varieties.
Have always avoided mettallic paints but pearlescent ones usually have a mica fill to produce the effect. This does not cause me any problems with Spektrum receivers, aerials inside fuselages, in eSoaring models. With this type of model we fly at long distances and sometimes very high.

You'll probably find that, in practice, it won't be a problem, Tony. There are a couple of threads here and here, where Orange Rx's have been shielded by various means, coping with biccy tins, lead and brick very well, so a bit of silver paint is unlikely to affect them!

I think the real problem is likely to be carbon, as witnessed by the carbon fus-specific Rx's.

Pete

Edited By Pete B on 30/03/2011 11:21:48

The same or nearly the same question has been asked quite a few times, I say that as the answers given were also the same... Some flyers have had a problem, from perhaps one orientation to a much more consistant problem at any angle. Which has caused model loss.

My take on the variety of answers is why chance it? Use a receiver designed for metalic or carbon fuselages.

Since the carbon question came up, and today is wayyyy to windy to fly I have been experimenting... my Acro wot fus has been lined with carbon, I run the coax outside the fus normally, at 90` to each other (tis a futaba 2.4 rx) so i put the aerial inside the carbon and range tested it, no problem, then I tied the aerials together in a knot, again range checked fine, both were power down at a min of 75 meters, I will do the same with the frsky rx as well...

Posted by flytilbroke on 31/03/2011 15:22:49:

My take on the variety of answers is why chance it? Use a receiver designed for metalic or carbon fuselages.

I'm not sure I can get such a thing for my radio, but I am also a bit puzzled about what it means if a receiver is supposed to be compatible with carbon fuselage.

I mean if the carbon fibre blocks the signal then nothing the receiver can do will help.
A quick read of the manual for the AR6255 "6-channel receiver optimized for carbon fiber fuselage installations" seems to just be telling you to have extend the aerials outside the fuselage. That suggests that the optimisation is really just the provision of long enough wires before the active part of the aerials to allow them to reach the outside.