JP Pretty ,Multiplex Blizzard or Radian Pro

Advert

Thanks Pat. I have a Radian and it is how you say. It has the same appearance as the Blizzard and I wondered if the motor in the Blizzard resulted in the increased performance but it would appear there is more to it.

I am looking for a bit more aerobatic but preferred the looks of the Pretty(horrible name) to the foam of the Radian and Blizzard.

Any suggestions?

Hamish are you sure you're thinking of the Blizzard not the EasyGlider ? The Blizzard has a V tail, is smaller & not really like the Radian at all.

Yep, the Pretty isn't a good name. Ken Anderson has started wearing lipstick & painting his nails since he mistook a reference to "Ken's Pretty" for a compliment.

I've had a JP Pretty for the past 2 years and had hours of fun with it. The real weak point is the supplied motor and prop. Just had my fourth prop fail, which again has taken the motor with it. Rather than replace with original gear, I fitted a Emax BL2215/25 motor and a cheap folding prop with a metal spinner from Robot Birds. Tried it yesterday in the blustery conditions, and it was perfect. The lower KV on the motor combined with the slightly larger prop (9x6) has made the whole thing much smoother, plus the quality of the Emax motor looks for superior to the supplied bell motor.

Its a bit of tight fit to get the motor into the nose making sure the motor wires don't rub against the casing, but I'm really pleased with mine. Pulling around 160W and 14-15 amps according to my watt meter. Might try with a set of 10x6 blades as I'm sure I'm still well within the specs of the Emax motor.

Thought it was worth mentioning as the standard motor seems to be out of stock everywhere, plut the standard folding prop is not fit for purpose. I think I've had over 4 blades shear since I've owned mine.

If you are not a fan of flying lumps of foam, the I think the Pretty is a good option, just don't put too much faith in the standard supplied electronics.

Cheers,

Simon

I think this time, the motor was damaged by the prop being thrown, but on previous motors, it was the grub screw on the mounting plate coming loose which did the damage (motor wobbled around and ate all the wires). Looking at the replacement motors at BRC Hobbies, they look different to the little 1300kv bell motors which mine have had in, so maybe they have updated the kits. I would definitely junk the supplied folding prop and treat youself to a Graupner unit or one of the metal spinners from Robotbirds. Blades here , spinner here .The supplied blades on my Pretty were very thin at the root and very roughly finished (chewed wouldn't be far off the mark !!). There is very little material around the pivot point and everytime they have failed is when I've been launching. Bit unerving as the prop is quite close at this point.

I tacked my motor wires to the side of the fuselage, then ran some 5 minute epoxy over them to make sure they can no flap about. There is very little room around the motor in the nose, you will see what I mean when you put yours together, so make 100% sure nothing can move.

It's quite sleek model, so I put some contrasting colour under one wing tip to help orientation at distance. Not a floater in comparison to some, but handles the wind really well (was gusting 25mph yesterday when I was flying mine). If there are thermals about your normally in for some fun.

Cheers,

Simon

In my other models I take the motors out now and again to give the bearings a good oil, so epoxy to the wiring would not be an option. I use a gaffer type tape to hold the wires in place and can normally get it way up to the front of the motor keeping the wires clear.

Have used a number of props from GC, HK and at one time treated model to expensive unit, which although well made, did not justify the cost.

I have an eHawk and hope that the Pretty will be as nimble and able to do manoeuvres I can't do with the eHawk, although that may well be down to my lack of experience and ability.

Roll on weekend and weather permitting I should maiden.

Dunno if it's possible on the Pretty but I have seen a models with a hole drilled in the nose to allow the motor wires out & another hole a little further back for them to re-enter the fuselage. The wires were then faired with a piece of plastic from a suitable moulded bubble packaging - small Easter egg container springs to mind.

Thanks for the info Ken. I may give the Blizzard a try later on. What has put me off the Blizzard is I have assumed it is made of the same material as the Radian and It very quickly looses its appearance as the slightest twig leaves an indentation and as the wing brackets broke I used tape to hold them in place which again removes the surface finish.

I am pleased with how the Radian performs and now doubt the Blizzard will be the same, but I like a model to have a good appearance.

Yep, gaffer tape would do the job just as well. I find the expoy will easily ping off if I needed to remove anything, but as the motor is only 9 quid, I'm not too worried about long term maintenance (I can see the front an rear bearing if I was to oil it).

I've seen a few Blizzards, but never actually seen someone using them as a glider just blasting around as like a hotliner. Look to have amazing performance, I just don't like foam models.

Cheers,

Simon

Pick up Pretty from LMS today. Nice looking model but found the folowing

Covering has bubbles which I have taken out with iron.
There is a seam where the two halves of the Fuz have been joined. Will paint to blend in.
Motor wires are hot glued to Fuz so should not chaff with motor.
Fitted plug to ESC and ran motor up. 20Amps on Wattmeter and the ESC has 12A marked on it????

Should not take to long to fit out, but no doubt I will get diverted elsewhere.

Posted by PatMc on 06/04/2011 11:39:30:
Hamish are you sure you're thinking of the Blizzard not the EasyGlider ? The Blizzard has a V tail, is smaller & not really like the Radian at all.
Yep, the Pretty isn't a good name. Ken Anderson has started wearing lipstick & painting his nails since he mistook a reference to "Ken's Pretty" for a compliment.
naughty young pat---you'll be well advised not to stand too near the cliff face next time out gliding...in case you 'slip' over........

ken anderson ne....1.