Bad day - 2 in 20 mins !

Well, after a fantastic weekend of flying, out Monday wasn't quite as good

I powered up my f-18 foamie for a quick flight & noticed one of the aileron servo's was twitching, should have unplugged the lipo & put it back in the car but no ! it settled & seemed ok so I flew it.

2 mins or so into the flight i lost all control, I thought it was me with orientation as it was a long way off but then I got it out of the problem & brought it back for a landing.

Turning onto my final approach, she went into a spiral dive, no way of recovering ! It looks as if the twitchy aileron servo decided to go full travel down

Maybe have a go at repairing her today, looking at Tim's "problem" with his F-18 a week or two ago, this one might fly again if I have enough epoxy, foam & skill !

Not to be outdone by an amatuer, my flying buddy decided to upstage me by trying to kill and bury his biplane in one spiral dive - real shame, lovely little plane that will never see the air again

Next please .......

Advert

Nooooo, I hate seeing broken models
John - yes of course you can fix her, if not, they are just £42 at present, and you could keep her for spares for the new one. I think if mine ever gets to need replacing, I may put in some decent little servos to replace the cheapo stock ones.
German warehouse ( no customs charges then ) has them for £55

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 20/04/2011 08:38:40

John, don't know if it helps you - but my score is 2 in 3 days....

Killed my Bonanza at the weekend - but this is something to be repaired. Yesterday evening I killed the Edge 540EP - full power nose first into the field. There was no high wind, twitchy servo or whatever - just a pilot error. Took me a while to collect the bits
I was not in a mood taking a photo, and there was no question wheter this is a case to be repaired or not. I just took out the usable parts and put the rest into the bin.
To see it from the positive side: There is now space for a new one....

Sorry to hear about that John, but these things happen - we've all done the sad lonely walk with the bin bag!

At our club, like many others I suspect, we have the "Viking Funeral" tradition. If a model goes in big style, once the obligitory post mortem is done, the next step is to remove anything vaguely reusable (that's when all the savangers appear - "can I have the rubber grommits off the servos" etc.), then the remains are placed on the ground behind the pits, a little glow fuel added and.. woof! We all see it off in fitting style.

Its a nice little ceremony - the problem is that lately, given a rather unfortunate run of events, its getting harder to find a virgin unscorched bit of grass to do it on!

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/04/2011 14:07:32:
Sorry to hear about that John, but these things happen - we've all done the sad lonely walk with the bin bag!

At our club, like many others I suspect, we have the "Viking Funeral" tradition. If a model goes in big style, once the obligitory post mortem is done, the next step is to remove anything vaguely reusable (that's when all the savangers appear - "can I have the rubber grommits off the servos" etc.), then the remains are placed on the ground behind the pits, a little glow fuel added and.. woof! We all see it off in fitting style.

Its a nice little ceremony - the problem is that lately, given a rather unfortunate run of events, its getting harder to find a virgin unscorched bit of grass to do it on!

BEB

I suppose your club could always book an hour, towards the end of the season, at the local cremmy, BEB, and really send them off in style. A steam catapult or Harrier-style ski-jump through the curtains, perhaps???

Pete

Our club had a crusty, battered 45 gallon oil drum half full of ash, melted plastic fuel bottles, remnants of scorched balsa, brown edged fragments of film covering etc. where casual model cremations took place and somebody nicked it!

After a few hours with some foam, glue & patience, she's 3/4 repaired After looking at Tim's damage & the end result, i just couldn't throw her in the bin.

So, i took her to work today & inbetween jobs did a bit of cutting & sticking. The canopy doesn't fit right, it's no showpiece & i still have to sand the filler & repaint, but i'm pretty confident it will fly another day

I like the idea of the ceremony for deceased models, maybe i should save mine up & heat the workshop all winter with them