Ancient Servo's

Hiya all. I have dug my 20 year old Precedent High Boy out of the attic hanger and looking it over it seems to be in goodish nick. I intend to keep as near to as it is now 'cos it was one of 'learn to fly' hacks and it has a sentimental value. It is powered by a Magnum 45 which still has good compression but the Sanwa radio was on the old 27 meg band. I wish to convert it to 2.4 but I am unsure whether the servo wires can be changed to suit. The servo model number is SRM102, it has 3 wires (2 black and 1 red) the connections are ok. I also got out, whilst I was in there, a low wing model I built and never flew. That is powered by a Magnum 15, I was/am thinking Webbit here it electric goes pear shaped. The servo's in this one are HiTech HS 300. The same question applies to these servo's as well. Cheers my friends.

Geoff

AKA Webbiteer No: 20

Advert

Geoff

I guess you are similar in some ways to myself, a returning modeller, after some time.

I was a Sanwa Clubmanand used and some other Sanwa set, in addition I had a Futaba Gold.

On returning found that modern sets were generally much better, in that many model memories was pretty standard, with a multiple of features only dreamt of. Anyway all my old sets quickly died, so I had to buy a new set anyway.

I have found that new servos are a better bet, than using my old ones, particularly Sanwa, as the wiring polarity was none standard back then, that is compared with now. New servos are generally cheaper and better in all respects, that is torque, speed, resolution and quality.

If you are going electric, weight is still an issue. There are so many 9g sized servos available now,making for a significant weight saving. The irony is that these cheap servos, can often outperform, the expensive, heavy weight, servos commonly used back then.

Thanks for this my friends. I totally agree with you, new servo's it is. I was trying to not have to chop the old girl around too much but on looking at the range of 'standard' servo's I don't think I will have to, looks like a straight swap. BTW, I am very pleased the way the plane has survived after all these years in the attic hanger, no spongy balsa just a clean over and she'll be as good as new, I will replace all the fuel tubes, tank and anything else I can get at and give the engine a good clean, it still turns over and has plenty of compression but it is cosmetically scruffy, can't have her turning up at the flying field in that state can we? Cheers all

Geoff

AKA Webiteer No 20