Llandudno PSSA event 30th+1st

Phil Cooke

Hi all,
Just in, back home after 2 full days flying on the Orme in fantastic slope conditions...

A very quick post on behalf of the PSSA to say a big thanks to all who attended and made this weekends PSS Fly-In a successful event. Thanks also go to Tim and Jonathan Demery for helping in advance with alternate travel and parking confirmation on an unfamiliar slope.

Over the 2 days I counted 25+ pilots and 35+ PSS models and we've flown from 9am to 6pm each day... there were a lot of Tx batteries drained this weekend that's for sure!

Saturday we enjoyed ENE winds varying between 10-30mph - the afternoon from 4pm was best with booming lift in glorious clear blue skies... we flew on until 7:30pm and we all came home happy. A group of us met up later in Colwyn Bay for a meal and a few beers in the evening - very enjoyable.

Today we had stronger East winds all day, upto 50mph on the edge - which caught a few of us out at launch, but once you were out through the narrow compression band the lift was AMAZING all day.

There were a number of new models on site and a few maiden flights were successfully performed - brave flying when you consider we were flying on a sheer cliff with no real recovery zone down below to land out...

A full write up of the 2 days events will be posted on the PSSA website in due course, we also have hundreds of photos again to pick from and edit, but in the meantime heres just a small selection from my camera this weekend.

1. Simon Cocker pushes his O/D B-52 out over the edge - not sure who was flying the Tx got passed around alot all weekend on this one...
2. Dave Gilder & his PSS Sqn - including the recently finished T-45 which showed great potential once trimmed & balanced - handled the high winds well despite its low AUW!
3. Matt Jones and his superb swing wing F-14 - another maiden flight today.
4. Kev Davies' Hawker Sea Fury was beating up the slope for the first time too!!
Next PSSA event on the Gt Orme is in 6 weeks time, 11th and 12th June. See you there?

Edited By Phil Cooke on 01/05/2011 23:50:07

hi guys it was a great event we had a great time weather was awesome and a great crowd of modelers,i look like a tomato after that sun and wind lol,it was certainly challenging on the edge,but to see all them models flying throught the day was FANTASTIC ,we look forward to the nxt one cheers iawnski

Im still awaiting photos from Sue and Rez which we'll compile into 1 big photo album which we can link to from the PSSA site and here, but in the meantime, heres a few more from my camera to keep you entertained... just look at the skies in these shots! What a cracking weekends flying we had!

1. This is the view we enjoyed all weekend from the Easterly 'Ski-run' slope... although we were a little further along the coast in an attempt to ease the rotor we initially found upon landing. Here Nigel Moule's Victor buzzes the pier!
2. Steve Kemp launches his Pilatus PC-9 into the abundant lift.
3. Matt Jones' F-18 Hornet went well both days...
4. ...As did his Hawker Hunter, built for PSS from the Lander EDF kit.
5. Another V-bomber mission is launched from the big rock!

Posted by Phil Cooke on 01/05/2011 23:49:15:
Hi all,
Just in, back home after 2 full days flying on the Orme in fantastic slope conditions...........

...... 2. Dave Gilder & his PSS Sqn - including the recently finished T-45 which showed great potential once trimmed & balanced - handled the high winds well despite its low AUW!
That's avery nice hoodie Dave is wearing, couldn't be a Charity Mass Build 2011 one by any chance could it?

Ian

Edited By Ian Jones on 06/05/2011 22:45:04

A shame I couldn't have joined you chaps for the whole weekend but very glad that I did make it up on the Sunday... the flying was awesome!

In case any of the glider guiders here haven't found it in the video channel, here's mine and Phil's little effort from the Sunday.

Cheers!

Rez

Erm... Mods, a little help here please?

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 08/05/2011 08:45:14

Tut - I dunno - you Rolls Royce guys are just not that technically adept are ya?
 LOL

( You need to use "old embed code" in U tube these days Rez )
Glad you made it on the Sunday - both day next meet right ?

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 08/05/2011 08:46:38

I have just finished an online album with a larger selection of shots captured at this event, this can be seen HERE

The PSSA Events Review page will be updated shortly, combining a written report with these photos and Rez's You-Tube Video - will link to that on the forum shortly.

Hi all,
Well I'm glad to report the PSSA website now has its online review finished from last weeks 'mega lift' PSS Fly-for-Fun event on the Great Orme.

This short write up HERE combines the Photo Gallery and Rez's cool air to air YouTube video all in one place, telling the whole tale! Enjoy!

See you for more of the same (albeit in South Westerly winds please Tim) on 11th/12th June.