century uk b25 Michell

ericrw

Does anyone else have a Century uk B25 model? I've got one but I'm having nothing but frustration in getting it to take off and fly. Though my Cub strip is grass whenever I've tried to maiden it, the grass as been recently cut. I've tried putting 3" wheels on the rear wheels but it's not possible to put a larger wheel on the nose;it rolls better but the power isn't powerful enough to take-off. In all three attempts have been tried to maiden her but with no success; plus all these attempts have been carried out by experienced Club Instructors. One Instructor believes the power is insufficient even for a handlaunch. Any advice/ views appreciated. Eric.

Advert

eric,

mine has a similar problem, but our field isn't brilliant.

The best way i have found it to ask a mate to hold the tail, give it 100% throttle & then the helper gives it a healthy shove. Once rolling it's not too bad but i doubt the landing gear is going to last me many flights.

My biggest problem seems to be that she seems nose heavy on the ground, if i move the weight back a bit it runs a lot better on the grass, but then flies awful. Think I need a servo hooked up to a moving battery tray

Hi there I have had one of these for over a year now and I had the same problem at first until I realised that the front leg was not engaging in the lock down position properly, it was collapsing as it ran across the grass so digging in and the wrong incidence, once this was fixed the take offs were long but did work OK. If you put larger wheels on the mains the angle of attack of the main wing then is wrong so you have to lift the wing to get it work as a wing. I have flown it 20-30 times since the fix of off short grass and uncut lawn with no trouble and i feel there is plenty of power. I use turnigy 2200 3cell 25-25c batteries and the ESC's are 30amps, hope this helps as it is a very steady flier, when landing keep a little power on as if the props freewheel they become very effective airbrakes and bring on a stall very quickly, don't ask how I know (two sets of props and a new nose glazing later!!)
Brian

Here ya go Eric

BTW - i agree 100% with sharpie & forgot to mention that after having a bit of difficulty, I have fitted a larger nose wheel which fould on the fuselage when retracting, but a bit of fuse trimming with a blade sorted that.

It might not be "scale" now, but I would rather have one that takes off ok than a lovely scale looking plane that keeps falling over !    My new nose wheel is about 25% bigger than the mains, which obviously keeps the nose high for take-off as a bonus

Edited By john haz on 20/05/2011 18:02:30

Someone, a relative beginner, brought one of these to our club one day. We all had a go but no one could get enough speed up to actually get off the ground! Eventually on one particularly committed attempt (not with me at the controls I hasten to add!) the "magic smoke" escaped and that was the end of that!

Not very encouraging I know - but I post it, Eric, just so that you know your not alone in having problems with this model!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/05/2011 18:21:44

I'll try John's larger nosewheel idea ;then it'll be thoughts of upgrading the motors. Century UK have fitted 30amp ESCs as opposed to the stock 20amp. Yes it does help to know that I'm not the only one with this problem.

You're right about the magic smoke BEB, mine did it on the first flight.

Esc's dumped & replaced with plush 30A, and a standalone 10A bec too. Why they cut corners & use this junk I have no idea, must be just to sell as cheap as poss.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...