Royal Mail

Peter Wood

I have been trying to buy an easy glider and have found a few suppliers, one of which was from a supplyer and had used before and trusted. I have now been waiting 4 weeks, from over a week before the strike, I asked for recorded delivery but was told it was too expensive. I have another model glider that I wanted to fit with a brushless motor, and was told that it would be posted, laterwas told if I lived in the right area, it would be couriered to me.

I am learning to fly, and just at the stage that I can fly an easy style glider and wanted another way than bungee launch, but with the weather as it has been this year except the last 4 weeks I could see my way forward, with the new set up.

I feel that any suppler that uses royal Mail will not getting my custom, in the future. I have dealt with some suppliers who do not add much for courier delivery, and they will get more custom from me in the future.

What do others think.

Peter 

Advert

I think that the RM employees that are on strike are idiots to be honest. Not because I have at least 5 parcels somewhere in the country that have now been in the post for around a week or so, but because of what the strike is about.

Our postie as it happens is not on strike, so some stuff is getting through. 

• 1 month later...

My partner and I have been clearing out our house via Ebay. Out of well over 1,000 items posted, only one has been 'lost'. The service provided by Royal Mail has been amazing. First Class nearly always reached its destination the day after.

However, since the strike and well after, the service is abysmal. No post for days then loads come at once. I don't know how the Royal Mail will recover from this.

so royal mail no good eh try // try the other couriers if you live in the sticks you wont get until they have a few in the area /but my postie no probs he will get it to you / thank god for the royal mail they deserve praise /as for the postal strike/ woukd you like to get up at 430 every morning 6 days a week/ deliver when u not well/ freezing cold/ soaked to the skin/ and still put a smile on to customers  KEEP ROYAL MAIL THERE THE BEST

The Royal Mail, left a note to say they could not deliver a package and that it was available from the distribution depot, after a certain date. Now you would think that they would redeliver by arrangement. No, not the PO.

I went to collect and it was not there, as they had sent it to Belfast. Filled in form to have it returned.

Then received a card some time later to say it could not be found assumed destroyed.

Who in their right mind can defend such an inadequate and expensive service. It is far poorer in performance than either the private sector or most European PO services. 

Privatise or get some better staff and management.

Erfolg

every one to there own opinion/ but watch out for the BIG HIKE IN CHARGES IF PRIVATISED /and no delivery if you live down a lane /it will end up like ((usa))) boxes on pavement/then everyone will have to go out if its raining to get there mail (shame))royal mail u have my vote

If you compare prices of Parcel force with private carriers they are very competative. I guess that is why Screwfix and other catalogue retailers use them.

My mother sent a parcel to Germany recently, and was suprised that the delivery charge was higher than the value of the content. Enquires with European relatives confirmed that thier charges to the UK, were far lower. Does that not sound familiar. 

I know that parcel force is not the same organisation, although the roots are common.

The fate of the PO could well be that of BRS (British road Services) take away the monoply protection, the business fades into obscurity.

They need to get their act together, like Pickfords, BAA etc.

Erfolg

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this thread Peter and just had to put my penneth in.

I have been selling new fishing tackle on EBay for about a year now and have found royal mail to be the most unreliable service.Its not so bad if your posting once in a while or your waiting for something to be delivered once in a while.

I have posted to europe and they get the gear 3 days later.And have gear delivered from china that takes 4 days to get to me.Even the gear from the US comes within seven days.

But post something to someone 5 miles away and they are still waiting 8 days later.

I have also had 6 foot rods lost in the post,how can you lose a 6 foot package(they don't get lost of course,they just took a wrong turning)

anyway thats my moan over now.

dave.

Timbo there's nothing wrong with the postmen and women anywhere,my postman has delivered to me i just pulled on the drive,and is 20 houses away,saw me return and come back up the street to deliver to me(might just be happy to get the weight out of his bag,not sure) its not just their fault,best just to blame it on the organisation.

They get it in the neck because they are who the public see.

I think it is a little generous to say all posties are marvelous. Some will be.

There certainly is a problem with the PO, it is probably due to them being a Government owned organisation, with a latent civil service ethic. There best hope is privatisation or exposure to competition, and probably a change in the management.

I still do not forget they destroyed a parcel sent to me. Also the PO lost some house keys sent recorded delivery. No compensation, or acknowledgement of poor service.

Erfolg

Erfolg the post office are duty bound under there own rule to pay you comensation X100 of the value of the postage you pain for any item lost in the system?  EG 30p stamp x 100 £30.  Just when did this happen to you.   Also for any item damaged via the post you can reclaim the full cost of the item and postage.

When did the above happen?

The items destroyed occurred almost precisely 2 years ago. Where the PO sent a letter that the parcel could not be located at their Belfast depot and was presumed destroyed.

In the case of the keys aproximately a year ago, a letter was received that explained that there was no receipt of acceptance, and as the recorded delivery detailed despatchers details and receipants acknowledgement of receipt, they could assist no further in the tracing of the item. In that instance the issue was that I could not gain access to my daughters house to feed her cat, as the duplicate key that had been cut would not open the door. I fead the cat through the letter box (I cleaned the mess up latter, the water was the main problem).

In neither instance did the PO, mention that any compensation might be due. In the case of the keys, the value of the keys was not the issue. Unfortunatly I do believe that the PO is a shadow of its former self.

Disgruntled

Erfolg    

I can see both sides of the problem you have in the U.K But here in spain they try or mostly not, to stuff it into a comunial 4x3inch box that is already filled with crap from advertisements,so any letters end up on the street or returned to the main post office who ignore any inquiry you have.It cost me £ 90 a year to have a post box so I can at least get my birhday cards from the grankids.l