New flyer, Addicted from a friend

Tiny flyer

Hello

I recently bought an a-10 ( as they are my favourite plane ) from 
hobbyking,  this is my plane  

I've never flown before but a friend said don't buy a crappy argos one or anything at that price

I also bought a camera on ebay to stick on it so i can put my videos on youtube

Here is the camera 

where would you stick it on? ( im thinking top of the fuselage but im not too sure if the pilots section of the plane will cover the camera view )

any help is appreciated, thanks guys.

Edited By Tiny flyer on 23/05/2011 23:44:10

Advert

Hi Tiny, Welcome to the Forum. First thing I would say is insurance - if you join a local club this is normally thrown in as part of the membership, secondly, look for local clubs they are a great thing for beginers and they'll make sure you are allowed to fly where you do.

Finally, ask any questions you want to here and we'll all help. for camera mounting I'll let the experts comment!

jeeeez thats gonna be a short youtube vid
if youve never flown before it will last about 10 seconds in the air then get smashed to bits, put it away for a while and get a proper trainer, learn how to fly poperly, in a club, with insurance,
then when you have built up the skill to fly a model plane properly, your warthog may last the length of time to get a decent bit of video footage

Tony?

The insurance is third party cover so if something goes wrong, and we all hope it doesn't, then any damage to others property is covered but only if you have taken the proper precautions before flight (looked at weather etc)

I would in general agree with neil, the A10 is an adventerous first airframe, look at getting a trainer, plenty of advice on here into which one, and learning to fly first - saves money, embarrasement and danger to yourself and others.

HI TF,

and welcome to the forum. First of all very well done - you're a brand new member and you have managed to post hyper links correctly first time! Brilliant there are few "old timers" on here who could do with taking note!

OK down to business. The A10. Yeap its a great model - I like it too. But its going to be a real handful to fly mate. First its going to be very fast - so noooo time to think. First flight is likley to be "Ah is that left or right or,....splat!" Honest. We're not just saying it to be miserable old codgers! We've all done a lot of flying and that A10 looks seriously too much for a learner.

Now I know that this isn't what you want to hear - but its better that we're honest and truthful with you. Olly and Neil are right. What you need is a "trainer" - its a special model specifically designed to help you learn to fly. Its slower - so you have time to work things out - its much more docile on the controls - so you wont be lurching all over the sky - and its naturally stable - so if all else fails it will have a good go at sorting itself out!

OK I know they don't look (or sound) as exciting as the A10, but at least you'll have a chance of the flight (and your model) lasting a bit longer than 10secs! And when you have learnt the A10 will still be there for you to enjoy and really fly the pants off!

Final point Olly is right, if you're serious about learning to fly models, and i believe you are, then get in touch with your local club and fix yourself up with membership and insurance. The insurance is really important - if it all goes "pear shaped" and your model hits someone (we all hope that will never happen to us, and it is pretty rare, but sadly it not unknown!) then that person could be seriously hurt - even killed. If that happens you could find yourself facing a claim in court for damages running to millions of pounds - where are you going to find that? But if you have insurance, and provided you have been reasonable and sensible, then its their job to sort it out!

Please don't think we are trying to discourage you - just the opposite - the advice you are getting is to try to help you enjoy this great hobby and make a sucess of it.

BEB

Welcome to the addiction Tiny! I agree with all of the comments posted above which may be summarised as follows:

1. Join a club. You'll get lots of help and third party insurance.

2. Use a trainer to learn to fly on. Some clubs have their own trainers which beginners can use for free or for a small fee. My club has three: two i/c and an electric. Otherwise buy a high wing monoplane trainer of between 1.5 and 1.8 metres (5-6 feet) in the wingspan . New, they start at £60-£70 but you may be able to pick up a second-hand one quite cheaply.

3. Keep that A10 as a second or third model. Ask yourself, "Do the real A10 pilots learn to fly using an A10?" The answer is,"No they don't." Neither will you.

Insurance against crashing my own model?

I wish!!!

Happy Landings

Dave Davis

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 24/05/2011 11:09:13

Thanks for the welcome everyone, the camera camera came today, quality looks quite amazing for the price i paid. Guess i will be better of getting a plane that is cheap but with a little power?

Hi TF, from the picture I can see why you liked and chose that model. It looks great, but all the advice given is second to none,and to avoid a great dissapointment, I would carry it out. We have all done it (most of us anyway) that is buying a plane that we cannot flydue to our skill level at the time. Cheers FB3

Edited By fly boy3 on 24/05/2011 17:45:55

Tiny flyer
Unlike most other hobbies RC flying it is based entirely on your ability to convert what you see your plane is doing, understand what the correct action is and achieve it by tiny movements of your fingers.

At the initial stages there is nothing instinctive about it, your just have to learn how to do it.
It is however immensely rewarding as and when you progress.

And do keep posting on how you get on!

Posted by Tiny flyer on 24/05/2011 14:52:09:
Thanks for the welcome everyone, the camera camera came today, quality looks quite amazing for the price i paid. Guess i will be better of getting a plane that is cheap but with a little power?

More importantly something that has some inbuilt stability and can take a less than perfect landing. If you walk into most proper model shops you will see them stocked with trainers and for good reason too.

If you want to stick with electric to get some training on then something like an Easy Star or Flyingwings V trainer here isn't a bad starting point and of of these make fairly good camera planes.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 27/05/2011 22:23:51