The joy of slope

Posted by Alex Gibbs on 19/01/2012 21:28:45:
does anybody live in south wales that does slope soaring?
i think id like to come and see where you fly and watch how its done :D

Alex, come on down, the flying is fantastic. I'm out there every dry weekend and there is a slope to fly for every wind direction. If you take a look on the video thread you will see some of my videos taken in the area north of Cardiff. I shall be out this Saturday & Sunday too as the weather is forecast to be dry.

If you're interested in coming down on a weekend, PM me and I'll gladly meet you and take you to the slopes.

Advert

A mountain rescue team is currently on its way to the Bwlch to rescue Marks Ballistik, which crashed into the vertical cliff and was lodged on a small ledge about 50' down from the lip. Hopefully it won't need much repair but I know Mark will just be glad to get it back as it's one of his favourite models. I may have to get one too, they're awesome!

Sounds the best/safest solution......

Make sure they strap it to one of those orange back boards before bringing it up the cliff won't you......a spar may be cracked ot there could be unseen damage

A pity you couldn't get the Duke of Cambridge to pick it up in his Sea King.......THAT would have made a great shot.....I can see the Headlines now......

The Daily Mail will have...."PRINCE SHOWS HE IS IN TOUCH WITH COMMON PEOPLE BY RESCUING RC AEROPLANE"

The Mirror will have......"ROYALS WASTE EVEN MORE MONEY BY RESCUING POSH KIDS TOY PLANE"

& The Star will go with......."BUSTY AMANDA IN DARING CLIFF TOP RESCUE BY PRINCE WILLS"

Just spoken with Mark. He said everything worked fine for a minute then stopped. I've told him the RX may be damp and to remove it and put it somewhere warm, like an airing cupboard for 24 hours.

• 2 weeks later...
Been up the Bwlch today. Winds extremely light, NNE so flying the Hawk and Speedo on the VR98 slope. There wasn't enough wind to do anything exciting, just stooge back and forth and catch the odd thermal as it came along. The Speedo performed well and I'll really look forward to trying her in the spring and summer during those light wind days as she certainly catches the thermals well.

Anyone any experience of the Axion Cumulus 200?

I'm looking at the full house version (3X Plug & Fly). At around £100 it could suit me nicely because it can easily be adapted from a motor glider to a pure glider.

I would also be wanting to attach a tow hook or release (which?). If I did that it would be a complete all rounder.

Hmm, if I did chance my arm then I would certainly write a review - seems to be much needed as every retailer seems to have them listed.

However, my arms are safe. I'll need encouragement of some sort to make me commit my dosh and the lack of any useful information is not very encouraging

Hello gents ,
Happy new year to you all , I've just had a look at the model your looking at Ian to me it very pricey for a foam model you could get a 2.6 mtr glass ASW28 for less that are well know flyers . Or a DG1000 of which I have 2 I also have the ASW28 and prefer its flying attitude
still if you looking for a foamie ,then I humbly suggest looking to the ST model range ,
once again they do an ASW28 and a DG1000 with and up and go,They are well proven and widely reviewed . Now back to building for me
cheers all

Thanks Stephen - I'll have a look into your suggestions.

The matter of getting me fixed with a suitable glider is proving to be a subject all of it's own so it looks like the mods have moved it to Aerotowing newbie.

I'll let it run a little longer then respond to all of the suggestions.

The big Boomer's coming on - nice to see you are keeping suitabley refreshed in the process.

Edited By Ian Jones on 09/02/2012 01:22:15

Posted by stephen wenban on 08/02/2012 19:47:31:
Hello gents ,
Happy new year to you all , I've just had a look at the model your looking at Ian to me it very pricey for a foam model you could get a 2.6 mtr glass ASW28 for less that are well know flyers . Or a DG1000 of which I have 2 I also have the ASW28 and prefer its flying attitude
still if you looking for a foamie ,then I humbly suggest looking to the ST model range ,
once again they do an ASW28 and a DG1000 with and up and go,They are well proven and widely reviewed . Now back to building for me
cheers all

Hi Stephen, long time no see. Hope you're getting some lovely summer flying in down there. It's very cold here but I'm braving sub zero temperatures and snow on the weekends to go flying.