The joy of slope

Well I took my 9 year old on his first sloping expedition and..............he did not like it much....
I'm devastated.

Ok, it was cold, what do you expect on top of a Welsh mountain 2 weeks before Christmas, 
We (Steve & myself) buddy leaded him to my Weasel, he did a couple of left to rights across the slope and decided he was no good and that was that.

He is learning to fly powered models and is capable of a few decent circuits so I thought he would like it, but no........
Oh well, lets wait till its warmer

Phil & a cold Tom

Edited By Big Phil on 10/12/2011 16:42:03

Advert

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah thanks Ken, I know I could do that, but just don't se why we can't have that redundacy should I need it and getting the model back to the landing site ?

I appreciate the harden glider pilots will say that's part of the fun, but I would'nt want to risk a model? Ok electric only - no real noise, no fuel or mess / pollution and only use the power when necessary - do the rules really need to come up to date?

If the rules say no power that's generally what it means, yes the rules are "bent" in some places, I believe it's stringently enforced on National Trust sites. I would recommend you check with local flyers before taking a punt on it as it would be a shame to lose a site for others.

Edited By Ultymate on 24/12/2011 15:05:26

Edited By Ultymate on 24/12/2011 15:05:57

If you take a look on the video channel thread, I've uploaded video taken yesterday when Big Phil and I went flying near Pontypridd. We had a good morning with great lift and little turbulence, which is why I love flying that particular slope. Unfortunately, my next flight with the Synergy after taking the video footage saw me snapping the fus in half almost when immediately after launch, it inverted itself and crashed into the ground. A little hot glue and CW tape and she's ready to go again.

And talking of making repairs, I've finally got around to repairing my Banana with carbon tow. I'm just waiting for the resin to dry now and tomorrow I'll look at removing a wing servo cover and replacing the broken servo horn. I've also bought a AR6255 RX so hopefully now I won't lose signal to the plane and I won't experience the same problem again. Hopefully she'll be flying again on my next visit to a slope.

Steve Houghton and myself went up Eglwislan Common for a few hours yesterday, we were greeted with 20 - 30 mph wind.....

Steve flew both his W.T and Synergy, I flew my W.T and Weasel. We had a bit of combat with the W.T's - but no hits....
Steve had a little incident with his Synergy ( oops, sorry mate, was that meant to be kept quiet)
and I damaged the control horn on the W.T with a rather far from perfect arrival.....

I then decided to have a go with the Weasel, wow does that little thing go or what. I was struggling to go forward so a bit of experimentation with ballast is called for, but it was great fun.
Lift was fantastic with all models shooting vertical as if kicked up the backside.

There is a video of the day on the video channel thread

Phil

Edited By Big Phil on 29/12/2011 17:06:35

Weasel, looooove it.
Off out Sunday with with Steve, probably to the Meio or Eglwislan Common (which is rapidly becoming my favourite slope)

Will take the W.T and Weasel .
Oh I love the slopes

• 2 weeks later...
Fabulous day on the Crest today, and joined by some Brizzol boys too

Had great fun flying the Speedo, WT and Synergy. The Synergy does love a good deal of lift, and the 500ft cliff certainly provides it.

There are only 2 problems with flying the Crest. The first is the rotor, but the LZ only has a very gentle uphill slope and you have to walk back about 60 yards ish then bring her in. The other is that if you have to land out, or crash into the cliff, its either a very long walk or you've lost it. Thats what happened today to Mark. He was flying his Ballistik chevron wing and tried to do a bunt, which it didn't like. he put it into a dive but it didn't want to go back up and instead ended up flying inverted towards the cliff. He rolled it out but couldn't pull up quick enough and it hit the cliff. It ended up about 50 feet down, just before the cliff goes vertical and much too dangerous to try to retrieve. So next weekend I'm taking a boat fishing rod along and we'll try to either catch it and reel it up or knock it to the bottom, which will be a very long and hard walk for Mark but at least he may get it back.

Posted by Big Phil on 19/01/2012 17:44:46:
D.F,
You will love the Weasel, especially in a blow .......

Phil

I flew DaveM's last week and was impressed.
It will fill the gap between my Alula and WT.

Current fleet:

Alula, Speedo, Weasel, Wildthing, Blaze, Turbo Esprit, Impulse, Fox, ASW17, Condor Magic, DG1000, Pilatus B4.

Just need a couple of mouldies thrown in and that pretty much covers all bases.............

Posted by Devon Flyer on 19/01/2012 17:27:58:
Just had my monthly fix and bought a Weasel....................can't help meself!
Should be here by the weekend.
Just need to save up for that 3m mouldie now.................................

And I thought you were saving up, clearly it made an impression!

Dave