The joy of slope

Advert

So Saturday I headed for the Bwlch as usual. It was grey, and a little drizzly but I walked up to Mickeys, where I took a wind reading of 28mph on my iphone, but in reality it was somewhat stronger than that. I launched the WT which flew as only a WT can. The smile on my face said it all . I then decided to put the Phoenix models Synergy through its paces. I couldn't launch it from the slope edge as it just got blown backwards, so I walked back up the slope a few yards to the track and launched it from there. The Synergy flew well but, I got my landing approach wrong and I was turning her from the downwind leg into the wind but I miscalculated its height and the wing clipped the ridge behind me and the plane car wheeled to a halt, breaking the fus in half and splitting the tail in two, but its nothing that some UHU POR and CW tape can't fix.

On Sunday I was back at the Bwlch, but this time the wind had changed from SW to NW, so I took the short walk to the Ice Cream slope where I met up with Mark and Andrew. Andrew was in the air flying his Flying Fish, which was going great guns in the 30mph + wind. I had a few flights with the WT before heading home.

All in all it wasn't a bad weekends flying

So how was your weekends flying

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 27/11/2011 17:27:11:
So how was your weekends flying

Very nice, thank you.
Couple of hours at Morethoe yesterday with the WT and the Impulse in fairly brisk conditions. Measured 30+ mph and gusting to 40+ mph. Half a dozen of us flying and most of us came home in one piece.
Today we went to Woolacombe where it was blowing around 20+ mph, with the lift backing up as far as you could want and with a very high ceiling. Took the WT, Impulse and Turbo Esprit. Was going to maiden my Pilatus B4, but thought better of the conditions and left it at home.
All in all, a pretty much perfect sloping weekend.
Hey, ho! Back to work tomorrow.

Well, got back from a weekend of working away, and was told swmbo had spent significant amounts of money on quilting stuff and fabric. therefore my budget has just popped into being. I'm think a WT46" as my first slope craft.

Any comments?

Olly

Edited By Olly P on 28/11/2011 16:11:09

SWMBO has put the brakes on unless I reduce the hanger size by 1, seems fair as we share the space for our hobbies.

However while I try some sloping, will have a go with the easyfly when i get try, it should cope ok, and if not then i get to create space in the hanger!

SSW veering W today. and no time to fly. I have spotted a slope on the way to sheffield which may have been ok....

There are at least 2 that look ok on terrain and Sat imagery, look ok on OS maps too, the more western hill looks interesting to get to the top of, but might be OK to fly, the eastern hill looks good to fly in certain winds, and possibly less distance to climb.

Any comments/suggestions greatfully recieved....not neccessarilly listened too mind...

Edited By Olly P on 29/11/2011 14:35:54

At last it has arrived again, my once a month weekend off work......
Fingers crossed for decent wind and little rain.

A double plus is I have my 9 year old on Saturday and he wants to go sloping.... he's learning to fly i.c at the mo' but I'm sure I can buddy lead him with my W.T or Zagi..

Only problem is he suffers badly from asthma so I need to find a slope that is not to much of a hike.

Fingers crossed.

Phil

Hey Phil. Wind forcast for the weekend is westerly on Saturday, so go up Eglwsilan, and SW on Sunday, so that will be Meio. Walking up Meio by the usual route may be too much for young un, but there is a path up the very left hand side which isn't as steep or exhausting, then once you get to the top its just a gentle slope to the flying area. Eglwsilan isn't too bad as you know as long as you take it good and slow.

Sounds good Steve,
I've got to kit him out in suitable clothing and foot ware first thing Sat morning.

Hi Olly,
my x-mas hols were confirmed yesterday,22nd to the 3rd.........
Now what will I do with all that time off...............I'm sure I'll think of something.

One tradition we have at our powered club is the New Years Day morning gathering for the few of us who are not to heavily into the booze, IYKWIM.

All pray to the god of wind and sun

Phil