The joy of slope

Here is my U2 "Lady Dragon" which is 60" foam & CF tape covered in Solartex.

It's still not maidened in spite of being taken out twice only to be defeated by the wind direction crying

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Edited By Marty Ball on 02/05/2012 12:48:15

Edited By Marty Ball on 02/05/2012 12:48:38

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 25/05/2012 14:48:19

Advert

Love the U2.. sumon up the courage and lets us know how she fares... looks nice thoughyes

Had an hour this afternoon, decent NW and the cloud was broken too so warm in the sun... Visiting the enemy (Attilla the hen) in North Wales this weekend, Mother in law that is.. so a spot of fettling and charging this evening to ensure I can "slope" off... if you know what I mean... toodle pip.

Me and Tim(bo) are going up the Orme on the Ski slope tomorrow so I might chuck it off if theres enough puff. The U2 weighs in at 2lb 5oz so it's not likely to be a floater!

The forecast for the weekend at the moment looks good for the Ski slope aswell so, 51, pack some models and join us

Ideal Marty, have some fun tomorrow. Heading across before the A55 gets troublesome on Friday!

The enemy is located up near the Zoo in Old Colwyn, (no really, she is!!! devil) Have the Gulp ready and charging... will check in before hand for wx update... Enjoy it tomorrow... Cheers...

U2 Update.

The L.E.G U2 Ladydragon was maidened today and I got to say the I'm inpressed (so was Tim).

The AUW was 2lb 5oz and apart from a click or two of trim it flew beautifly in the 35 mph wind! The responses were positive (not snappy) and the dive test proved a gentle climb out. The Stall ... what stall? with full up elevator slowly applied I could not induse a stall cool.

The model will roll and loop(not that the u2 spy plane was required to do that) and it has a "presents" in the air.

I was not a fan of LEG due to poor aftersales and poor building instructions but the finished model is a testement to LEG and I would recommend this model.

There are sadly no pictures coz my camera on my phone is crap.

• 3 weeks later...

She'll fly this weekend mate thumbs up

What I want to know is ............. why can't the weathermen get the wind direction rightquestion Last night they were forecasting NE, so I figured I'd keep my driving distance down and yomp across the top of Meio to fly its bowl on the NE side, but when I went out this morning, I thought, "thats a funny NE", checked it and yep, it was S-SE teeth

So tomorrow the plan is, wind direction permitting, to join Clayton and Andrew on the Crest at the Bwlch. I must slap on the factor 30 tomorrow as the 15 isn't doing anything.

Steve

A470Soaring.blogspot.com

Ok, so todays flying didn't go to plan either. Andrew and Clayton cried off so I decided to stay local and as an easterly was forecasted, I thought I'd try the bowl on Mynnydd Maen, which overlooks Upper Cwmbran as I was told it flies well on an easterly.

After parking in the car park on Mountain Road, I began walking up the track, keeping above the trees and up to the top of the mountain, about a 25-30 minute walk to the bowl. When I got there I discovered the wind wasn't easterly, but north easterly, so I decided to launch some foam to test the air.

The lift initially was good, but as I pushed the model out over the slope I found the air quite turbulent, which was probably due to the the mountain peak on the other side of the bowl.

I decided to give up as I didn't want to risk damaging a mouldie, and on the way back, walking around the bowl, I checked the ideal wind direction with a compass, which looks like being a SE, which also has a good LZ behind it.. So I will try it again when there is a SE blowing, if the weathermen can get the wind direction correct for a change.

Steve

A470Soaring.blogspot.com

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Marty Ball on 02/05/2012 12:39:57:

Here is my U2 "Lady Dragon" which is 60" foam & CF tape covered in Solartex.

It's still not maidened in spite of being taken out twice only to be defeated by the wind direction crying

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Edited By Marty Ball on 02/05/2012 12:48:15

Edited By Marty Ball on 02/05/2012 12:48:38

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 25/05/2012 14:48:19

How's the U2 going Marty?

I did manage to get a little foamie fun flying in this morning before the rain set in. With the wind south easterly I headed to the sea wall at Goldcliffe, just east of Newport. It's not a place you want to make a mistake or lose the wind on as the wall is made up of rocky boulders and then its thick, deep, horrible mud. You wouldn't want to have to retrieve a model from that lot. But the flying was good, and fun, and more importantly, better than no flying at all.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm hoping to get some reasonable weather this weekend to maiden my X Models Whisper, 2m mouldie which I bought 2nd hand.

I had to change a wing servo, instal a battery pack and new Hitec Optima 7 RX then just program all the various mixes involved, ail > flap, ail > rudder, elev > flap, crow etc, but thought I'd make use of the "copy" function on my Hitec Eclipse TX and so copied the settings from my Baudis Banana.

All seemed ok apart from the left aileron which, when I tried to increase the end point travel, a very strange anomolly occured. The aileron would modulate up and down, but only when the aileron went up, tick, tock, tick, tock, like a metronome. The more end travel I gave it, the more the modulation increased. It only stopped at the 50% travel mark, which wasn't enough travel for me. When I swapped over ch1 and 5, the anomolly changed sides, so at least I knew it wasn't anything to do with the new servo i fitted.

The next day on the slope, and after chatting to the lads, we decided that I should delete that model memory from my TX, with all the settings, and start again from scratch, as one of the guys had experienced problems with copy functions before and said that he spent more time trying to fix the problem than he would have done had he just deleted the settings and begun from scratch. So this is what I did and the anomolly didn't re-occur and everything is now fine and I'm hoping to chuck her up into the wild blue yonder on Saturday.

So in future, I shall bypass the "copy" function and program from scratch.

Steve

A470Soaring.blogspot.com