The joy of slope

Advert

At the risk of being told to go back and read this massive thread I am looking for some recommendations for a good electric glider. I saw mention of the radian pro etc at the start of the thread, but that was some time ago and wondered would be a good choice today? I would prefer an electric machine as I would like to use it from our clubs flat field as well.

i have been thinking about having a crack at slope soaring for a while as a I live on the edge of the Peak District and it would be good to so something different. Can any one advise me on available and allowable sites to use in the peaks?

cheers

dave

Edited By david fillingham 1 on 16/06/2014 19:22:40

Excuse me! Did you say, electric glider to use on the slope? Wash your mouth out young man. wink

To some people, using a motor of any kind on the slope is a big no, no. Me? I don't mind. There are several foamies available that will work in lighter conditions, Easy Gliders, Radians, etc. The latest must have of the foamy glider world is the Multiplex Solius. My flying buddy bought one recently and it flies really well. I've attached a video below.

Or you could build the new Red Eagle, (plans in this months mag) and buy the CNC kit to go with it.

Steve

A470soaring.blogspot.co.uk

Thanks for the reply Steve! The solius looks really nice I will have a closer look at that model.

i like the red eagle and I always have some build on the go, but I said that I would devote my time to own designs from now on and these don't yet include gliders.

I thought the motor might raise a few purists eyebrows, but no doubt if I get hooked on the slopes then the motor gliders will give way to something a little purer.

cheers

dave

Edge of the peaks David Fillingham?

Dave Gilder of this P;arish is also on the edge of the peaks and might be able to help, I'm in Stockport but have limited time to fly ATM, so DG might be a better bet. I would gladly join you for some sloping if free - and even let you have a bash with one or more of mine if I can make it....

Olly,

thanks for the kind offer. I am over in Derby so a bit of a trek from your side of the peaks, but I wouldn't object to meeting up to fly sometime. I have been in contact with Phil Cooke, who I suspect will be able to put me onto some slopes closer to home to get started.

I am quite looking forward to having a crack at this aspect of the sport. I once thought it would be a bit dull compared to powered flight, but there is something pure about it that is calling me to have a go.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

There are a number of good sloping sites in and around the peak district, catering for most wind directions. Over the years I've flown the following;

Bosley Cloud, nr Congleton, flies NW and NE

Leek and Moorlands, (club site) flies SW and NW

Elkstone, (club site) flies E

Rushup Edge, flies S (and N)

Mam Tor, flies NW

Treake Cliff. Flies E

The Roaches, flies WSW

Callow Bank (Stanage Edge - Sheffield club site) flies W, NW

Now the summer evenings are at their best, let me know if you fancy a venture out one night after work and we can go fly one of these 'local' slopes, would be more than happy to help introduce you to slope soaring - once you've tried it I'm sure you'll be hooked!!! thumbs up

Thanks for the info Phil,

The Solius should arrive tomorrow so I am hoping my wife will be around to catch the delivery. All being well I should be ready to have a crack next week or whenever it suits you. I will be in touch when I have it in an airworthy state and we can arrange something to fit in with you.

Certainly looking forward to having a crack.

cheers

dave

The multiplex solius has been ordered, arrived and flown today. Nice aeroplane, thanks for the advice Steve and Phil.

It was such a nice day that I had to take the afternoon off work to set it up and fly it. It has an impressive climb under power and seems pretty aerobatic, but I can't wait to get it to the slopes and see how it flies in some decent lift.

i found it a bit of a squeeze getting the receiver into the guts of the fuselage and the battery is a snug fit next to the esc.

anyway Phil whenever suits you I am ready for a trip out to the peaks.

Cheers

dave

Wow Dave that's impressive - from box to field in a few hours!! Glad the maiden flight went well but there really is very little doubt left isn't there with a pre-formed, well proven model from the MP stable. thumbs up

Right I'll go ask Mrs C when I can best have a late one from work - keep your eyes on the weather - ideally we want a NW or SW breeze of 15 mph.

Phil,

Maidens are much more exciting with scratch built designs, when you have put some of your soul into the build. I enjoyed this maiden just because it was with a significantly different aircraft type for me, but as you say apart from the odd tweak it was pretty good out of the box.

i managed a couple more flights today and had some good thermal activity for a while. It was great to see my glider spiralling upwards towards the local thermalling professional (some bird or other). A few tweaks to the equipment layout, trim and balance made.

i am looking forward to launching from a slope now, hers hoping for some good conditions next week.

Cheers

dave

So I am addicted after one session and looking at xc weather for potential slots next week.

I am also starting to think about building one of those chris foss middle phase or phase 6 models, but this a bit of forward planing as hangarage is in short supply and I still have a build on the go.

I was wondering about the battery set up for a pure glider. What size / voltage Lipos to use and how to get power from this to the Rx. To date all my electric builds have used an esc with a built in BEC.

4 or 5 cell eneloops will do fine also. Most of my fleet uses lipo, and my gliders mainly deploy 1500mahr 2 cell packs, feeding the radio through a standalone BEC or UBEC as they are called, or even regulator LOL

Its all the same thing really, a simple regulator to drop the 8V+ from the lipo down to 5 or 6V

Welcome to the slope - you've had it now!cheeky

Dave I still use NiMH and Eneloop batteries to power all my gliders, as Tim says many flyers now use relatively small 2 cell Lipos with regulators but Ive not employed them personally - they are easier to charge and manage I guess.

For ref my Phase 6 last night was flying on a 4 cell 2000mAh Eneloop Rx Battery, which will last me all day even with a 4 servo wing.