Its "bugging me"

Tim Mackey

Mrs Timbo spotted this little creature taking nectar form the flowers of these weeds a few minutes ago. I couldnt get any closer with my little point and shoot, but hopefully this picture, and description will do.
About an inch long, and quite fat, with shades of brown markings - I thought at first it was a moth . It looked for all the world like a small hummingbird - and its wings were really going some! It hovered at each and every "flower" on all the florets, and drew nectar through a very long - maybe another inch or more ) tube. A quick Google confirms that no hummingbirds as such exist in Gt Britain, and all species are restricted to the Americas - so my best guess is that it was a "hummingbird hawk moth" ?

Advert

Indigenous species here in S/W France. Saw the first one here yesterday and will get them all through the summer, to and fro along the terrace stopping at each geranium! If we could work out how they get enough energy for all that flapping from their food intake we'd be dumping the Li-Po's.........

Swallowtails have been active for a few weeks and the flush of white admirals will be along soon. Glow-worms too - something I've never seen in the UK.

Pete