Fournier rf-4 electric conversion?

• 2 months later...
Advert

Hi,

Covering and painting now complete. Still to add is a small battery (over the ESC) switch. I was pusseled, when installing the normal 2-wired (red & black) switch, I´ve used before, only tro find out hat the motor wouldn´t start. All went OK when no switch inbetween, so, I had to order a 3-leaded variant (red, black & white) Hopefully it will work with that.

CG i still a concern, even with a double battery pack. Has to be rechecked. This is the main conversion concerns I find when going electric. The rest is more or less standard procedure. I wouldn´t mind if the scale would have been 1:5 with a somewhat larger fuselage. I also couldn´t hold the weigt down to the predicted, mainly due to the "double battery arrangement". Hope for a first flight if weather permits in March.

VIKING

Painting completed

That's a very nice looking Fournier and good luck for the maiden flight.

BTW, on the previous discussion regarding coverings, there's always the option of using Glosstex for future projects as this totally negates the need for any painting (apart from trim lines and registration letters etc).

Bill B and Peter M,

Thank you both for your positive feedback! Unfortunately photos do lie at times (I will never be a skilled "decal-designer", and I thus had to leave some lines etc out (as for the Swedish-registered original). What will matter is the flying qualities, which I hope will be as good as Peter´s pictures have shown that they can be. As we still have winter here with snow, flying will have to wait, at least until spring sunshine will prevent finger stiffness and wet lawns!

Regards

VIKING

Build the fournier last winter, conversed to electro.

motor used is Simprop MT 35-11 on 3S1P 3200 mA 20C battery. The total weight is 1680 gamms.

I had to put 330 gramms lead in the nose to get the CofG at the spot on the drawing.

The cockpit cowl has to be fitted, but the pilot figur first needs some cosmetic surgery.

for picture from the build so far click link

http://www.home.zonnet.nl/smits146/fotos/IMG_0209.jpg

http://www.home.zonnet.nl/smits146/fotos/IMG_0211.jpg

Koen,

Indeed a very beautiful RF 4!. I put double batteries (2 x Li-ion 2200 mAh) up front just to try to avoid balancing, but will need some lead upfront no doubt. Trial launches will tell how much. How did you cover your machine? All balsa = i.e. also the wings? What sor of paint did you use?

VIKING

Viking,

The wing is as suggested on the plan. The whole machine is covered with ' Oracover ' only the inside of the sheeks and the cockpit-floor is painted. With the wing, i started with the underside. The upperside i started in the center and used three angular strips for every color. For the fuselage, i did first the bottom and then the sides also with three angular strips, first the red from tail to the wing and then color by color to the front. The wingfairings last. From the whole coveringjob, the covering from the cowl and sheeks was the most difficult and time consuming and toke a lot of waste oracover.

Koen,

My model like yours is also covered to 90% with oracover. Excluded are cockpit and cowling, both painted. I found out, that some car paintings and alikes in spray bottles, did stick on to Oracover, why I bougt one in the closest possible colour to the original, then painted some part of the remaining oracover sheet. I made some masters out of stiffer brown paper, and did cut out after them. Thus the front blue, forward of the canopy, is of Oracover, made after masters.

The letters have a different procedure. 1) Write what you want in Powerpoint - save as JPEG. 2) Open in photoshop and mirror the letters. Resize letters to wanted size - save and print. 3) Use Glue stick or paperglue to stick the letters on to the backside of the painted oracover - then cut out. 4) Fasten the Oracóver letters with non-shrinking varnish. 5) When all our with varnish fastened "decals" are dry, give a cote of varnish over them for protection. Of course you can do the same with figures or whatever, dependant upon your skill..

The wings finally, where sprayed - of course you have to protect the rest of the model with drawingboard tape + magazine paper etc. When dry, give a coat of warnish.

I found that Oracover is a very good and forgiving covering material, but the painting procedures, i.e. finalization of the model, are difficult, and will ruin many good builds. Yet having decals made by proffesionals is atleast here, an expensive story. That´s why my models look and will look the best in the air.

VIKING

• 4 weeks later...

Today I did a motortest to find out the static trust and current.

With a 10 x 7 prop the reading were 42 Amps and a trust from 1.6 Kg. At 3S 3500 mAh.

With a 11 x 5.5 prop the reading were 42 Amps and a trust from 2.1 Kg. At 3S 3500 mAh.

So i will try both props on the maiden for the best result in speed, power and flight time.

Picture from my test equipment. The receiverand the ESC i use only for test purposes

motortest

• 2 weeks later...

Huray, Yesteday, april 1st, maiden from my Fournier RF4,

it's a very nice plane to fly, but on the ground it's difficult, reason is the front under carriage is to weak and the outriggers were to stiff. I heave to work a little on these two points and then it will be a pleasure to fly with it.

At the maiden flight the 10 x 7 prop was mounted and the power was enough. Flighttime appox. 6 minutes on 3S, 3200 mAh, 25C.

A short video impession on http://members.home.nl/koen.smits/Fournier.WMV

the video will be available until 8 april.

Peter, the reason about the weakness of the undercarriage is, i used 1.5 mm pianowire because all of the undercarriages i could buy over here, had 1 leg that was to short. This week i'll try to bent a new one from 3 mm pianowire but first i have to make a decent bending tool.

• 4 weeks later...

After making a new undercarriage from 4mm pianowire and reasonable wetter flown the Fournier again.

With a 3200mAh 25 C flighttime with mixed trottle ca. 15 minutes.

Because the she was very sensitiv on the ailerons during the maidenflight i programmed about 50% exponential on the aileroncontol.

Small picture from second start, flight and landing

Edited By Koen Smits on 29/04/2012 13:52:28

• 1 month later...

For your info, I bought one of those cheap electric retract units via ebay and have mounted mine onto a plate just behind behind the main former 1 with a cutout under the front fuselage and wing. The retract then works forwards. A cutout in the front of the wing is also needed to get the gear in the correct position. I tend now to buy Overlander 3548 motors and fit them into whichever aircraft that I am making so there is one in my harlequin as well. The fournier flies for 12 minutes on a 3cell 2200 and on recharge I find that there is about 30% of the charge still remaining.

Mine flies like all Peter Millers planes, very well.