Fournier rf-4 electric conversion?

Advert

Hi Peter M, hi all!

Finally all parameters did match and I was to take my RF-4D into the air. Unfortunately though,she couldn´t take off from our grass field, although well prepaired. Conclusion: wheel to small diameter. Question: Peter, what diameter do you recommend? I have to change/make a new landing gear leg, the commercial one I used, does take max 2 inches diameter wheels only.

Look forward also to see the solution of a retractable gear!

Regards

Viking

I reccomend the size shown on the plan but I do admit that it doesn't like taking off from anything less than perfect grass. You could try squeezing in a arger wheel

However hand launching is quite possible if you have a helper. Once trimmed it can be hand launched solo if you know what you are doing.

Peter M.,

Sopry for my late answer, but I´m currently sitting in the middle of nowhere/somewhere right now and thus have a small communication problem.

To squeeze in a larger wheel doesn´t work, so I have loosened the current gear from the fuselage,

and will bend a new one, taki ng a 2,5 - 3 inch wheel. In your opinion, will that do?.

Pegards

Viking

Most of my take off's have been from a hard surface but on the odd occasion that I fly off grass then I find that a small push to get the aircraft moving is all that is needed. The outriggers seem to be the issue so one day I will bend some skids into them to reduce the drag.

Peter the retract looks very good when I do a low fly past and cycle the wheel up and down.

As for the flying I cannot tell any difference with the wheel up or down.

John

img_0241-rf-4d nytt hjul (medium).jpgimg_0217-1-a st?llet (medium).jpgiphone-bilder 035 (medium).jpgHi Peter M.,

New gear with larger wheel (2.5"on top picture. Old wheel plus gear surged out with quite an effort on lower pictures. Your wheel attachment design is quite sturdy...

Now wee are waiting for the right occation and nice weather gods.

Viking

Edited By Viking on 25/06/2012 18:38:39

• 1 year later...

Hi Folks,

Hope this topic is still alive. Started a protracted build of PM's RF4 and I was just wondering what people bind the U/C leg to F2 with. I have tried a test piece with copper wire out of 2.5mm2 cable and this seemed to work ok. I think the wire measures 1.13mm. The ply broke before the wire.

Cheers

BB