The 3rd UK model Autogyro fly-in 2011

Richard Harris

This weekend will be our 3rd model autogyro fly-in held at Winterton Model Club.

There are only a handful of 'gyronuts' from around the UK, but I think most will be attending though the weather doesn't look to be the best.

I will be taking my camera along and will post a few photos from over the weekend to those that are interested.

We maybe getting a few full size flying in this year so that will be interesting!

Rich

Advert

Lee,
Yes they are good bunch of chaps and always make us feel very welcome, Sunday looks to be the best day as long as the the rain keeps away!

Will be fun putting the tent up later!

Rich

David, you should sent Alex down to cover the event.....I'm sure it would make a great artricle in the mag!!!

Richard you should try not to clash with Weston Park in future !!! Facinating things Autogyros....they shouldn't fly but they do....I remember building a DB free flight autogyro in my early teens....powered by a 0.5cc DC Dart diesel. It never flew; I decided that the plan was wrong because it showed the rotors set at a negative incidence &, as all arrogant 14 year old aeromodellers know, wings are supposed to have a positive angle of attack.....so rather than -2 degrees mine had +2 degrees.....

First flight...start engine......rotors vaguely turning in the propwash.....throw model.....model plummets to ground & breaks....14 year old aeromodeller decides that Autogyros are rubbish!!!!

We have one guy in our club who is determinedly working on an autogyro with twin rotors....he has managed a couple of flights but it doesn't look an easy thing to fly....

my late brother-in -law built a control-line autogyro from a John Stroud free plan in Aeromodeller in the late seventies/early eighties. Being young and impecunious, he carved the rotor blades from the ply from the back of an old chest of drawers!
It still flew well.

I chucked $100 at a little electric one from hobbyking.

It got off the ground about a foot before tipping over and breaking. It is waiting for a repair, but I have a nasty feeling it might be waiting a while. Got loads of attention though- people really were interested in it.

Having seen Richards very succesful gyros on YouTube I am keen to see and learn more, so I will be making the trip to Winterton on Sunday.

Hope that you all have a good weekend,

stu k

A great weekend had by all, with surprisingly good weather, here are a few photos. I will upload more tomorrow.

Rich

• 1 month later...
Hi all, new to the Forum and only just saw this thread. Sorry I missed the fly-in (and Weston Park too - I was at the RC Hotel on Corfu). I fly fixed wing and heli models but really want to try model gyros. I'm lucky in that my day job is building/fixing/servicing full size gyroplanes (www.rotorsport.org), so plenty of inspiration. A large scale model of a Calidus (or the up-coming Cavalon side-by-side two seater) would be fantastic.

I'll be there next year........

Cheers,
David