Agritug

hi guys

am in the process of working out how much it will cost me to make the agritug, and the first thing i come to is the motor, i want mine to have a fair bit of power because i am thinking of giving mine the abilty to tow small gliders so i have found two motor that i could go for first and the second . the batterys i have are 3s 2200mah and 4s 2200mah, so could someone advise me on which motor will give the most POWER!!!!

also what was the electric set up others are using on theres?

chris

Advert

Hi Chris.

You will need about 300 watts to tow small gliders I guess. My Agritug is fully aerobatic on that which I get from 2 x 2200 3S lipos wired in parallel to give a total battery of 4400mAh. That gives around 10-12 minutes flying. It doesn't matter if you use 3S or 4S lipos, 300 watts is the key figure. A 3S lipo will draw more current that's all.

choose a motor that will pull 300watts on a 12x6 inch prop, with a 30amp ESC, and fit the biggest battery capacity you can get in. I can just fit 2 lipos at 3S, a 4S lipo will be bigger, but you will be able to fit a larger capacity one. You will only get around 6 or 7 minutes endurance from a single 2200 lipo at 300 watts.

I hope this helps.

Chris

chris

this motor says that it is 750KV and 206 watts,

have also found this motor  that says 750KV and 350 watts on eather two 3s 2200mah, or two 4s 2200mah, think this should give me more power but just want to be sure. i personly think i will go with the second motor as i think it will give more power but not sure (new to electric)

chris

Edited By chris edwards 3 on 19/12/2012 15:38:43

Edited By chris edwards 3 on 19/12/2012 15:39:05

Nine gram servos might be a bit marginal for a model of Agritugs size if you wanted the full aerobatic performance, particularly for the elevator. However,I think you would get a model that would fly ok - I have used them in bigger gliders, and for the ailerons in bigger power models with no problems. The original Ripmax SD200's aren't much bigger and are well up to the job.

At the tail end the closed loop controls will be ok with the small 9g servo arms, but the need for push/pull rods for the ailerons may cause problems with them bending under load because you will have to use thin wire. On another design that's similar, I beefed up the thin wire between the servo arm and the aileron torque rod with some thin carbon rod held on with shrink tube - a cocktail stick would have done the job too. As an alternative, you could use two aileron servos, one in each wing.

Chris

• 7 years later...

Hello all!

This model has been in my list for some years. Now, the lockdown 'age' provided the perfect setting to start building it. I found the pictures in this thread to be very informative, as I cannot acces the computer disk with the original digitized article.

Only two pictures now, but as I write this message, all fuselage parts have been cut as well as the central wing ribs and the wingtip pieces.

Watch this space for more. Suggestions from all of you will be highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Paulo

20200426_132823.jpg

20200427_232928.jpg

Hi Paulo,

it's great to see another Agritug being built after so long. 2011 now seems like history. I still have my original design model and, although it shows signs of a lot of flying, it is still a favourite for its friendly flying characteristics and I have kept it despite reducing the size of my fleet by disposing of other models.

keep some info coming on your build and if I can help at all, come back through the forum.

Chris R

Thank you Chris and Bell for your kind words. I'll be back here and surely I'll ask nagging questions to vou

I'm a slow builder and not that competent. I also have lack of a proper workshop, having to make do at the home office (I live in an apartment) and occasionally at my in-laws garage. Sometimes I get to use a properly mounted drill and sanding and sawing machines. Otherwise, I do it all manually! Thus, I may stall the build for months at a time

Anyway, I'll set the goal of maidening the model in 2020. Meanwhile, only the ribs need cutting (the central ones are done).

Regards,

Paulo

Hi all,

One question regarding the servos - will Hitec HS-81 micro servos stand up to the job on all moving flying surfaces? The specs are as follows:

Motor Type: 3 Pole
Bearing Type: None
Speed (4.8V/6.0V): 0.11 / 0.09 sec @ 60 deg.
Torque oz./in. (4.8V/6.0V): 36 / 42
Torque kg./cm. (4.8V/6.0V): 2.6 / 3.0
Size in Inches: 1.17 x 0.47 x 1.16
Size in Millimeters: 29.72 x 11.94 x 29.46
Weight ounces: 0.58
Weight grams: 16.44

At the stated torque, I believe it will suffice. Right or wrong?

Thx.

Paulo

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Despite this week efforts on the model, it was not enough to have it ready to maiden today. Lack of suitable acetate for the canopy as well as canopy glue meant it was not going into the air. Plus, proper routing of wiring in the fuselage is still to be done, Other than that, it only needs registration letters and a romanian flag as per the plan, Can be installed later. Weather permitting, next weekend is likely to maiden.

20200718_235431.jpg

Great to see your progress Paulo. Good luck with the first flight. Mine was pretty uneventful, just a click or two of aileron trim needed. Super to fly thereafter, and still a flying favourite.

I'm not doing any flying right now. Being ancient I'm taking no risk of catching the virus so avoiding meeting other people. My DH84 Dragon (see the forum elsewhere) has yet to complete first flight trials as I've had to modify the motor rotation directions after uncontrollable swerves left on the take-off run.

Chris.