Depron de Havilland DH 106 Comet

hi all, ive just finished building my de havilland comet it has a 42'' wingspan, please see my photo album for construction.
I traced over a 3 view in autocad and designed it and built in a week, i cut out the parts on my cnc machine.
The question i would like to ask, do you think it is possible to cover the model in tissue and use pva thinned with water to apply it, and paint it for a better finish? Has anybody tried this? also im thinking tissue would add strength to the depron, many thanks brett

Edited By Brett Jones on 16/07/2011 22:09:54

Advert

Posted by fly boy3 on 17/07/2011 11:39:19:
Hi Brett, exellent work, lovely looking model. Dont know enough about the subject exept that covering or painting will add extra weight, but will not get the model to fly any better. LoL. Cheers

Thanks for the comments flyboy3, i might still try it on the airframe to see what the finish is like, just added a pic of my a380 please check out my A380 build photos, brett

Edited By Brett Jones on 18/07/2011 08:55:10

• 4 years later...

Hello Mr. Jones,

my name is Jochen Engels and I am coming from south Germany.

Some times ago I found drawing of the Concorde. I think you are the designer.

At the moment I am building the Concorde.

Is it possible to get this file from you (maybe in DWG or DXF.)

I have begun with the build of the fuselage. But I have no informations abouzt wing ribs and so on.

I hope that you will answer me.

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 10/12/2015 15:49:07

Hi Jochen,

Welcome to the forum! Brett hasn't posted here for a while and if he has not 'bookmarked' this thread, he may not become aware of your question. It might be worth sending him a Private Message (click on 'Message member' at the foot of one of his posts) and he will get an email notification.

Pete

ps I edited out your email address to avoid the unwanted attention of 'spambots'.

Brett

Very impressive Depron builds. smile

I can only suggest you weigh it as it is then cover it with tissue and weight it again to see how much weight it adds.

You then have to make a decision as to whether you feels the process is worthwhile on the next build.wink 2

My own view is that if the Depron joints are good the increase is strength from tissue does not compensate for the added weight. The problem is that PVA/ tissue is actually much stiffer than Depron so it fails at a lower deflection than Depron and at a total load little greater than the Depron would by itself.

It certainly does provide a better surface to create a finish unless you have been very careful to maintain the natural surface 'skin' of the Depron.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...