Wot 4 XL

it'll put a smile on your face, that's for certain. Did you brace the u/c plate with some glass cloth and resin or similar? I lost the U/C on my first landing, admittedly the field was more than a little rough, with cattle-sized hoof prints and various holes hiden by vegetation.

No I haven't. The whole artf kit looks really well built and quite solid. Surprised that would be a weak area. I'll give it some thought as some of my landings should really be called arrivals. Mind you, we are quite lucky, our strip is like a lawn compared to some. I'm hoping for some favourable weather on Sunday as I've been booked for pre-holiday shopping on the Saturday.

If the field is free of ruts for the wheels to catch in you will probably be ok. I was surprised to find the 5mm or so thick ply plate snapped across so easily, but since glassing it back in mine's been fine. I think changing clubs to one with a bowling green smoth strip helped a lot

I guess I'll take my chances for a while then. I was thinking of getting some better wheels for it though. Hopefully I'll get some photo's of the maiden. A few of the club members did say that they had a few glider projects to finish and were looking forward to using it for a tug! Guess I'd better learn to fly it smoothly and look for the aerotow kit and a 26cc petrol engine

Well the maiden went without a hitch yesterday evening. Turned up at the field and only one other person there. He had a normal size Wot4 with an OS 60 on the front, boy did that shift! I had the c of g set up as per the book and set 2 lots of rates for the elevator and ailerons. All checks done, started up and taxied out. Lined up in to wind and of she went. Airborn within a few yards! A couple of clicks (beeps) of up elevator trim was all it required. Had a good fly round checked out the handling and stall. Was so amazed at how slow it would fly. Had a few practice approaches to get the feel of it and was still astounded at how floaty the model is. Landed, shut down and checked the plane over. Nothing had come loose so fuel up and off again. This time with max rates! I have to say she flies beautifully. I am glad I got it. It will make a fantastic everyday aircraft. I might just glass the undercarriage mounting plate in just to be on the safe side. Oh yeah, I have an ASP 91 2-stroke in mine and a 15x6 prop. I reckon on getting between 15 to 20 mins out of the tank depending on how much throttle I use. Considering it will happily pootle about on 1/3 throttle I might be up considerably longer!

Andy

Interesting....I'm just about to maiden my homebuilt version......

A guy at the club drew around a stanard Wot 4 kit & took the drawings to a printing shop & had 'em blown up by about 25%. A few are flying now & seem very nice with a 90 4 stroke up front. This is my version.....about 65" span & fitted with an ASP91 2 stroke (on a 14x6). Others report it to be very floaty too.....I fitted flaps to mine...mainly because I could.... but I might change these to spoilers.....

What weight was your XL.....? This one came out at just over 8.5lbs....

Just awaiting some free time so I can maiden it......

Thanks Bob....I was a bit worried when I stuck mine on the scales but it seems 8.5lbs is OK....mine "feels" heavy too...you know....!! Foam wings & a glass cloth & WBV finish obviously add a bit to the weight so I tried to keep the weight down in other areas by using 9g servos & a 300mAh battery.......nah! nah!...only joking, only joking....

Go on admit it I had you going for a while there.....!!!

• 1 month later...
from the official blurb:
" Boasting a 68" wingspan and with a huge 6.7 sq ft wing area combined with the light all up weight of around 8 1/2 lbs (3.85Kg)"
Allowing for ARTF optimism and reinforcing the UC mount, say 9lb - I make that about 22oz/sq.ft. Not exceptional in my book.
Looking back to the typical .60 powered kit or plan built model of a few years ago, a 60" aerobatic model would have weighed in around 7-7 1/2 lb for a much narrower wing chord. I can only assume you based your comments comparing it with the ultra-light and delicately built 3D type models that can be made using modern laser-cutting and carbon techniques.

Believe me, they ARE good rounded fliers, and quite tough into the bargain.

The Wot4 XL isn't a lightweight model. It's tough enough to withstand knocks and bumps.

Too light, then:

# Affected by the wind and gusts, making it hard to track right. # Would be too weak, and suffer from weak undercarriage mounts and other issues # Using a large engine (as most people will inc Petrol) under a weak airframe would pull itself apart. and get complaints from modelers, saying it broke up <moan>

It's about right, strong as a kit, but has some mass, but not too much to ruin it's performance.

The pic was taken at Wales, on a very slow and low pass, the 110 at a low tick-over. No flaps, but still goes at walking pace. The stall is non-existant, unless you really yank the stick...

I don't think mine's 8 1/2 lbs. I'm using a lighter engine, a 110 sized engine, which weighs the same as a .91FS. By using petrol - heavier, will push up the loading a bit and impair performance.

Well mine flew well enough. The 91 2 stroke would pull it vertical out of sight if let it. I had a minor mishap a couple of weeks ago. As it was taking off one of the elevator clevises failed. The pin just disappeared. As they fly so slowly it just did a little cartwheel and came to rest.
The only damage was a broken engine mount and the end of one horizontal stabilizer was snapped off. All in all about an hours work to rectify.
I must weigh mine and find out the all up weight.

I really like flying this model (almost as much as my Moth)

Andy

My Dragon Lady is a similar size, 66", with a shade less area at just over 6 sq ft, and similar weight so comes in at about 23 oz/sq in. That's another real pussycat. Both the DL and the Wotty are powered by ASP FS120s turning 15*8 APC props at around 9.6k rpm, but the DL has a much better vertical performance.
Go figure

Mine goes vertical from take-off, and will just about keep going until it's a dot. The 110 is lighter than a 120, but more power than a .91, which weighs the same.

WIth reference to the clevises. The aileron unscrewed, even with lock-tight. In the end, after flight adjustments, I soldered all connections - solid. Just about to do the same to my Graupner Klemm 35, which I've noticed is loose.

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I recently bought my second WOT4 XL, it is such a great model and so much fun. While flying my first [RIP ] WOT4 last year there were 3 more at the strip and I deliberately did not fly with any of the others as I did not want to end up flying the wrong model. To help with this my new model supports extra trim, I certainly won't mistake it for any other WOT4, and I think it looks good too.WOT4 XL