Hobby Lathe

Advert

In my opinion the machine is too weak and may be too light to deal with harder metals.

The machine has only 25W which is not suficcient. It should be 100W plus. 

Also the machine should have a proper cast metal bed to avoid vibrations at highere rotations. Such vibrations will give you a bad surface quality.

I never used this machine - I have experience on its older broter - the unimat SL which was bigger and I think is no longer on the market.
This was the SL

later I bought a compact 5 (same company - also made in Austria as I am myself...) which I have now since more than 25 years. This is a machine I use very often.
It is bigger (5 inch diameter over bed) and heavier (40kg) and may be a bit big for the every day job.
 The compact 5. Still available but today in red / grey

Check out the Proxxon range. they have a smaller machine which in my opinion is good.

I think you find also Chinees copies these days which may be o.k. and their prices may be also a bit lower.

So please look at: A cast iron frame. The saddle should glide on a v shaped ground finished surface and not on round bars as on some cheap engines. The engine power should be more than 100W.
Look also at available accessories. for instance 4 jaw chuck, rotating center and so on. Those are missing on some of the Chineese copies.

By the way - there should be also a market for used machines - which makes stuff cheaper. And last but not least - have a look at Myford - this was (or is?) a UK manufacturer of small lathes.

Cheers VA

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 11/08/2011 14:04:08

Thanks for the welcome Vecchio, no nothing to to with the manufacturer tim, just been looking for hobby lathes this week the seig lathe is sold under many different brands and colours it is sold under the clarke brand by machine mart but is around £400 and also under the name chester cobra for £370 i found the axminster was the cheepest, there are a few nice lathes on ebay but they're either too far away from me or too expensive.

Cheers Glen. A mate of mine and occasional forum visitor has, I think, the Unimat lathe Chris - and its a good looking /performing machine for the money.
I have the Peatol, ( taig in the USA ), and although nice, its really only limited to small stuff, and soft materials - it struggles a bit with anything more than hard aluminium.
That Seig does look nice

Posted by Vecchio Austriaco on 11/08/2011 13:42:40:
And last but not least - have a look at Myford - this was (or is?) a UK manufacturer of small lathes.

Unfortunately, Myford closed down a week or so ago - I understand that the rights and tooling have been acquired by a Chinese company so they may re-appear...

Edited By Martin Harris on 12/08/2011 09:42:50

Posted by Roger Adams on 12/08/2011 13:32:07:
Glen

I have also been looking at hobby lathes and I think the same machine is available here
and might be a bit cheaper. I also think that Alex Whittaker has one of these.

thats the next model up from the c1, and a very good price too