EG Pro - what do I need

Michael Baylis

Even though I have the Wildthing 46 on order I am already looking at a 2nd model. I think I am going to get a powered EasyGlider Pro which I can fly from the field next to me (once I obtain permission) and from Garway Hill when the wind is light.

I have done a bit of research but thought I would ask the fountain on all knowledge, ie you guys. I have the standard Futaba 6exp 2.4ghz with the standard receiver and servos (don't ask me the model numbers, the are 130 miles away). What do I need to buy to complete the EG Pro?

I assume I need a motor, prop, cowling, small servos, ESC and LiPo battery pack. anything else? Will the standard receiver do?

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers,

Michael

Advert

I've just bought an ST Models ASW 17 for those light days on the slope. Flown it a couple of times now and it does the job. Very good in light conditions and on a flat field. Getting long flight times on a 1300 3s lipo.
2.11m wingspan and comes with all servos, motor, prop and speed controller fitted for around £75. It's made from the usual EPP foam but the wings have a film covering that seems faitly tough. All you have to do is put it together (one screw!) add a receiver and battery and away you go. Mine was in the air 30 minutes after the postie delivered it!

Michael, you can download the EG Pro manual here. Click the one on row 37. Page 11 of the manual gives the recommended MPX accessories but they can easily be substituted by alternatives.

Servos in mine are 2 Hitec HS81s for R E & a pair of Zebra servos for ailerons. But I think HS82's & HS65s would be a better choice now but there are plenty of alternatives of the same size.
However it might be worth considering the RR version as this comes with extension leads as well as the servos, the price difference may not be that much.
There's plenty of space for the Rx I'm using an old home made Micron 35MHz.

This is my choice of motor (My comment is in the review dated 10 May 2009) I use one of several 3s 2000/2300 batteries including this one my ESC is a 30A Jeti but it's a bit near the limit as the motor draws 30a static so I'd suggest this 40A instead.

I use the MPX spinner as it's an odd diameter & includes the shaft adapter etc. Note it must be the 4mm shaft version for the above motor but there is also a 5mm version available. My prop is a Graupner 10 x 6 blades which when fitted to the spinner assy gives 11" dia. BRC sell these prop blades which should fit but I don't know how good they are compared with Graupner.

My EG Pro weighs 1Kg RTF, current draw is about 30A for 300W. The climb can be virtually vertical but I usually climb steeply up wind for a max of 25 - 30 secs then do some thermal hunting.

IMO there's no need to try for a lighter motor battery combo as the model will slope soar in very light winds with the same battery etc just not using the power. It will stay up when even Alulas are struggling.

In order to improve the aerobatic performance when I fly mine on the slope I use a different Tx memory with increased aileron throws & no differential

I believe it's possible to buy a "radio ready" Easy Glider which provides everything but the transmitter/receiver combo.
One of my friends bought the glider version in this form with all servos and linkages installed ready to connect to the receiver. Flies well in gentle winds up to about 10 mph and with a suitable ballast bar can cope with at least 15 mph.
Malcolm

edited for typos

Edited By Malcolm Fisher on 20/08/2011 20:35:23

Go for it Michael.
I have had 2 now and have flown the pants off both.
I 'cliff soar' rather than slope soar and have flown in 30+ mph winds with no problem. I have had several 'severe' landings but with a tube of POR have always managed to get it back in the air for the next day.

This one happanend on the cliffs in a 30 mpg wind and even the 'canopy' was broken.
It flew a couple of days later!

The Multiplex offerings are great but can be expensive and I mainly went down the route of buying bits from Cod for instance.
You do not need 300 Watts for this by the way. I fly on 2S 2500 with HiMax C3516-1130 and a 30A ESC. Servos - low cost Turnigy S3317M for elevator and rudder and Bluebird BMS-317 for the ailerons.

On the flat I get 3:1 ratio of power to glide so regularly get 40 minute flight times. That is 10 minutes of climbing at a leisurely pace and 30 minutes of gliding back down.

Have fun,

Peter

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 20/08/2011 21:38:19:
Michael, you won't need a powered EG for light winds off Garway, I'd just build the glider version first, try it and you can always convert to power later.

Frank, the powered version is more for the flat field than garway.

PatMc, thank you for the excellent examples. just what I was after.

Thanks everyone, I'm costing away

Michael