Beech starship ,WE BUILD THEM BIG OVER HERE. lol

My friend here in the states has been building a beech starship for a little over a year now. He is testing the two 85cc DA motors now and tuning them getting ready for its maiden flight . His name is Merlyn graves and he builds them big! lol I thought i would share some pictures of his build guys. joe

Advert

I will pass it on to merlyn ,dave , tim and dorset ,he is shutting down shop this weekend and me and him are going to a seaplane flyin Here in IL . The man who owns a real starship sent him a message through U-tube and told him how much he liked his build. joe

Edited By road king97 on 30/08/2011 17:13:48

Does look that the propeller leading edge is facing the wrong way.

Having seen a full size Starship, along time back (probably in California), I thought wow, I guess we will see loads of them in the future.

This year I saw a Piaggo Avanti canard in Florida.

Over here they all seem mythical or designers dreams rather than real.

The model sure does look impressive. I guess a lot easier to fly safely in the USA with all the open spaces.

Merlyn is a pretty smart guy and ordered the Da motors to run in reverse so he did not have to try to find pusher carbon fiber props and just run reg ones. He drew his own plans but he is making smaller plans that we can buy .I will let every one know when he has them ready and what the sizes are. cheers joe

Edited By road king97 on 31/08/2011 21:39:02

I think the point Doug is making, is that the direction of rotation is not the issue.

It looks like the leasing edge to the propeller, is actually the trailing edge.as installed. If my interpretation of Doug's posting is correct, that is how it looks to me also.

If they are installed back to front, relative to the direction of travel, a reduction in propeller efficiency will occur.

Hi Joe, I thought Merlyn still had to run the conventional props the right way round though? ie prop leading edge at the front......as per Dougs comment.

If I remember rightly he put them on that way around by accident once before early in the build. Is it possible he has yet to cut new spinners, and these are just for show?

It has been awesome to watch the build all the way from the cad drawings through to a final model, he is a fantastic modeller.

Cheers
Danny

Yep merlyn has been known to put a prop on backwards before ,i think he is running them backwards . I have not realy looked at them but i will ask him saterday when we are at the water funfly in oak forest. Yes his thread is at 226 or so i keep checking every month to see how close he is to the maiden and thos plans.lol joe

Edited By road king97 on 01/09/2011 23:37:15