Max Thrust / Century MX2

Gaz Elliott

Well after treking to the Nats and making a pledge not to buy anything unless it was required . I broke like a kitkat infront of the fire.
Looked fantastic in the box. my only dilema was all my models are 3 cell and this is 4 cell. Worth dipping to try it out though. Perhaps even upgrade the funjet to suit the lipos!!!
Kit good quality foam however the instructions are really small and well to be honest not very accurate, they stae you need all this equipment but actually all i used was a screw driver and allen key. Oh and a piece of sand paper to remove the paint on the glue joints.
If th instructions were bigger perhaps the differnet screws would have been easier to identify!!

Ready to go after a very slow 3hr put together. Not flown it yet as it is now dark..dooh. Just need a few more lipos from the codster. (They appear to have a new brand for the 4 cell which has been reviewed as being better than the 5c tipples. Any one tried them???
I have a 3350 lipo though for the maiden

Gaz

Advert

Well it has now flown. CG roughly set at 10cm which i guessed to be on the carbon spar retaining foam filler front edge( I forgot the tape measure!!!)

A lttle taxi round and feel for the controls then ease on the throttle release the elevator, ease up and little more then back on the elevator and a nice steady incline out was seen. Beautiful effortless. few circuits and then for the circuit landing run at height to see how she came in. I did appear to have got her slightly nose heavy as it needed gentle ease on the elevator but other than that nothing dramatic. Flight one down. must get to the patch tomorrow for another. This will attract much attention from the guys for the colour and style alone. My skills, well maybe not!

• 1 month later...
evening all , got myself a century mx2 foamie in green for a little hack about , i`d like to change the 3 blade prop for a 2 blade apc , its 12" in dia but i don`t know the pitch ? wondered if anyone else does please . ps . the instructions on these kits are rubbish , soooooo small is the writing , flys god tho

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 27/11/2011 20:41:34

• 1 month later...
Hi Guys
I just got a Century MX2, on opening the box the quality of parts seem to be a very high standard, I can't find much about this model on the Forums, not even much on YouTube either, if anyone else has one would love to hear your thoughts
Chris (Isle of Wight)

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 04/12/2011 13:59:31

Posted by ady on 29/10/2011 22:27:43:
evening all , got myself a century mx2 foamie in green for a little hack about , i`d like to change the 3 blade prop for a 2 blade apc , its 12" in dia but i don`t know the pitch ? wondered if anyone else does please . ps . the instructions on these kits are rubbish , soooooo small is the writing , flys god tho

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 27/11/2011 20:41:34

As the original prop and spinner were so hopelessly out of balance I went the 2 blade prop route too. I'm using an Irvine electric spinner and an APCe 14" x 7" which draws 47.5A for about 690W on 4s. I did take the precaution of using an uprated ESC as most cheap ARTF ESCs aren't up to much in my experience. There is plenty of power for scale like aerobatics, but if you want to do lots of hovering then a new motor will be also needed as the supplied one isn't really up to the job.

Chris, on my particular example I had to junk the rudder pushrods as they were binding and causing the servo to constantly buzz. The easy fix was to fit a closed loop system and whilst I was at it springs were fitted to the tail wheel to afford some shock relief to the rudder. I find the flying characteristics very agreeable and apart from the poorly fitted decals it really is nice foamie for the price. Reading some of the American forums shows that the overall quality can be a bit hit or miss, but they nearly all report favourable flying qualities. The undercarriage is infinately stronger than the ST Model MX2, but the tail wheel bracket will bend if you land tail first and it pays to regularly check the tightness of the main wheel axels as they can come loose. There have been reports of tip stalling by some pilots, but mine has a very docile stall and can be flown very slowly if required. With tip stalling in mind, it's very important to balance the model laterally as the foam density can vary greatly between the wings and this could be a contributing factor.
Apart from all that , it really is a nice flying aerobat and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

• 1 month later...
It must be the season for kitchens, I finished mine just before xmas! Anyway, the MX 2 is flying like a dream thanks, but then I'm not trying to 3D it, but rather treat it as a straight forward scale-like aerobat. All being well it'll have yet another airing tomorrow as the forecast looks very favourable. I should really purchase some new batteries as the Overlander 2700mAh 4s ones I currently (sic) use only give about 5-6 mins of mixed flying. I think some 3500mAh 4s LiPo's would be a better bet as they are heavier (less lead ballast needed up font to achieve correct CG) and should give about 8+ mins of flight.
Hope all goes well with your build Chris.

• 10 months later...

Hi Guys

Not been on this thread of ages, but an update on the MX.

Mine and a mates are wrecked after a spin in!! It first happened to my mates and I must say I thought it was him, he then rebuilt it and on the second flight the same thing happened again, I then had 2 flights with mine and all well.

Third flight all going well when it went into an uncontrolled spin into the ground, when we picked the bits up I noticed that the ESC Burnt to a cinder.

The Conclusion to this is that it is a very poor ESC , I should have fitted a U-Bec and will in the future.

I am intending to purchase another one as I do love that way that the plane flies it really is good, but this time I will discard ESC that comes with it, and put a good quality one in with a separate you UBEC

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...