Zebra servo's ;-(

FWAL

Bought 4 Zebra HZS 135 MG servo's recently all for in wing aileron use in two wings. One servo has now jammed in each wing! One after 20-30mins use and the other today after almost 2 hrs total use. I'm not sure if the first one jammed before or after an unscheduled landing but it might have been the root cause of the crash as the glider just banked to the right dipped the nose and hit the ground despite my trying to level the plane (modified advanced middle phase)
Today I'd been flying for 30mins landed flew another plane than went back. Tested the controls and the RH servo just didn't seem to have much life in it. What little movement there was, was very sluggish. It wasn't long before the servo just stopped working completely and jammed solid.
I don't know the cause but would not recommend these metal gear servo's. Now do I fit the two remaining servo's in one wing or just bin them?

Hi Ken
Maybe it was me. I have been altering the diffs/EPA's and flap mixes etc but I wouldn't have thought it would cause terminal servo failure in both wings.
I'm glad to hear that your Zebra's are working well. I now think the two I have left will be put in the same wing.
Fingers crossed
Mark

FWAL.... The zebras are great servos BUT the cases are prone to coming apart easy. Its happened to one of mine and I know someone where it happened in flight..

When the case moved on mine (just a little bit not so you would immediately notice) It stopped the gears moving and so i always put some heat shrink around mine and have had no problems since

Edited By Craig Carr on 02/09/2011 18:26:49

Edited By Craig Carr on 02/09/2011 18:27:37

I've had a pair of Zebra servos driving the spoilerons of my Easy Glider for over two years. Never given any problems so far (touch wood). They don't have the hardest of lives but probably about as much as a Middle Phase.

IIRC Craig was the one who told me about the case being held together without screws but as I'd been flying the model for about a year by then I left them sealed in as they were installed.

I was going to give these a go - they are mega cheap! - but when I got to my LMS (no names for reasons that will be obvious) where they know me, the advice from the staff was "I wouldn't if I were you"! I left with some Savox to try instead. They stripped their gears so I eanded up with my usual HS82MG's. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be adventurous.

BEB

Investigated the problem this afternoon. Scalpel, forceps....etc. I double sided selotaped the servo's onto the ply wing skin and covered with film, not expexting to be removing them for a long time! The first faulty servo was buzzing slightly but no movement. I opened the servo up and removed the gears but still no life, so the bits were put in a jar for possible spares. Carefully removed the servo from the other wing and noticed the case was ever so slightly open, jiggled with the tx whilst gently squeezing the servo and it closed up and started to work again. I added tape to the servo's to prevent a re occurrence and now we're ready to fly again. Well the Eppler wing is!
Thanks for all the above advice and I'll be learning from this lesson

Link in box

Ugh! Nasty servos. looks like very poor build quality. I go with the LMS's comment as being true. A servo can destroy a model, or worse go into people/property and do damage.

I would recommend, if any doubt, discontinue use and buy a better unit

Edited By Paul Marsh on 05/09/2011 23:54:59