The Futaba 6EXP 2.4GHz

Martin Johnson

Absolutely superb. The little receivers can certainly take a bashing too (please don't ask me how I know)

I've ran out of models on the 6EXP Tx, and I also miss the flight mode switch, so I'm eagerly awaiting the Futaba 12FG and will be one of the first to buy when it comes available.

If there's anyone from Futaba reading this then the addition of the technology thats in the Spektrum which won't allow you to fly the wrong model would be welcome!!

I used to use JR equipment, its very good stuff, but I didn't like the twin receivers setup for 2.4Ghz so I've switched to Futaba now.

Hi John,

if its info you're after this is the best I can offer -

The 2.4 GHz version looks to be available about Xmas time in the USA - in my opinion this will be an identical unit to the UK one when it comes available here, I'm guessing about March time. Of course the USA version won't be certificated for use here, but as I said I'm virtually certain it will be the same unit (he says covering his eyes expecting to be lashed many times). The reason I say it will be the same version is because it will be much cheaper for the radio manufacturers to produce a single Tx that conforms to ALL country standards who accept 2.4GHz - much better for us too 'cos we'll be able to put our Tx into our suitcase and just use it anywhere we please. Thats why its getting more common these days for RC gear manufacturers to ship radio gear without a mains charger.

If you want one you'll need to get one on back order NOW because the take up is terriffic - otherwise you'll have to wait till the next batch comes available in the summer 2008.

If you want to read details of the 12FG, then the controls will be virtually the same as the 35Mhz or 72Mhz version, you'll find a good review here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730325

Of course if anyone has more then I'd be pleased to know about it.

cheers

AJ

• 2 months later...

There seems to be two reports from the UK where two or even three transmitters (6EX) could control the same receiver, one of these incidents also caused a crash. There is also one similar report from USA, in this case a 6EX and a 7C (FF7).

Reading the threads (links below), it seems Ripmax believes these transmitters have the same unique ID, or rather no ID at all but instead just a string of zeroes, probably resulting from poor QC at the manufacturing.

If this turns out to be accurate information, I would expect a complete recall on all existing transmitters and possibly even more delays to the introduction of additional products (I for one am unpatiently waiting for the TM8).

Sources:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6857282/tm.htm

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798002

Hiya,

As far as I understand it the RX will only listed the the GUID it is bound to. you could have serveral TX's sending on that "freq" but the rx will only respond to the correct GUID.

As the Futaba unit switches every 2ms and the spektum doesnt  you'll always end up crossing paths at some point, we have at least 2 Spektrum units at our club and 4 or so Futaba and they all appear to work fine together.

Chris

Erfolg. As Chris explains above, it is a form of unique ID. I will add in here a bit more about the system, as it is obviously a hot potato at the moment. The following is a slightly edited version of some copy I first saw on the HH website, coinciding with the release of the Spektrum system to the UK ...back in Autumn 2006, when I researched the system prior to purchase.

It also explains a little more about "binding"

Each Spektrum transmitter has a GUID (Globally Unique Identifier) code. Upon switching on, Spektrum transmitters check for, and find an open frequency on the 2.4 band (there are 80 channels, spread in 1MHz spacing) before transmitting any signal. It scans the 2.4GHz band and picks two frequencies which show the least activity.
All devices on the 2.4GHz band worldwide, are required to avoid other users (or else they wouldn't receive type acceptance) and there is no chance that another type of device using 2.4GHz can cause an issue with your radio. It just can't happen. They all work by the same rules.

“Binding” is the process of programming the receiver to recognize the GUID of a single, specific transmitter. Binding teaches the receiver the specific GUID of that transmitter so that the receiver will only listen to the information from its previously bound transmitter and ignore everything else. With over 4.2 billion GUID codes, the chances of having a interference from another transmitter is virtually impossible . You've probably heard of the familiar form of Spread Spectrum called "Frequency Hopping." This form uses a system that has the signal transmitting on just one of the 80 available frequencies for just a few milliseconds, then hopping to another channel, and so forth. This is all done randomly and so fast that it won't' affect other "hopping" systems, nor direct sequence systems like in the Spektrum.
Our system, over five years in development, started out using a frequency hopping system. But the limitations of this format in regards to robustness of the link and slow speed sent our designers into the Direct Sequence side. Whereas frequency hopping is "old technology," the newer Direct Sequencing offers a much more robust RF link, faster speeds - yet it is exponentially more difficult to program. And it's the programming where all the magic is. Understanding what to do with hardware is the "secret" to DSM Spread Spectrum technolog
y.