The Hawker P1121 - again!

In a pause of the build of the VSTOL and other repairs I have started on the P1121's ailerons.

Aileron cutout

Quite a reasonable scale size but now comes the tricky bit.

First a servo has got to go in what is a very thin wing but more difficult will be the servo wire that has to find its way through the wing, into the fuselage, around the duct and forward to the radio.

The mods to the tailpane wont be that much easier either.

Being an all stressed skin structure I really need to keep any cutouts to a minimum.

Advert

I made a bit of an error cutting out the underside skin for the servo!

Servo flush

The wing is indeed thin. With the 3.7g servo as far in as it will go (glued to the top skin) it is still flush with the lower skin.

The wing has no ribs so feeding the servo wire to the wing root was not too difficult.

Servo wire in wing

But getting it into the fuselage and through 3 formers to the radio will be harder.

I posted this video in the "Digital versus Analogue" thread to show that analogue servos are not that bad. Here it is more about how the aileron looks.

The other side should be a bit easier as at least I will know what I am doing!

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 13/04/2012 22:22:45

With the ailerons sorted, atleast as far as feeding the servo wires to the radio, the next task is the tailplane. There are two issues.

First I was never happy with the rigidity of the tubular spar aroud witch each rotates. it was simply too small a diameter.

Second the servos operate as elevons through a small 'mixer' unit. Now with reasonably sized ailerons the tailplane might lust as well revert to an all moving 'elevator' but with each half moved by its own servo.

The major surgery required to remove the old spar.Old spar cut out

The new an old tailplane spars.

Big tail spar

Extracting the old 'aileron' servo wire and mixer unit will require some more fuselage cut outs to gain access

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 16/04/2012 15:11:02

I had to think long and hard about this.

How to retain an all moving tailplane that rotates about a fixed tube spigot?

My first attempt was to cut a hole in the tailplane skin and fix a bush on the end of the spigot. This worked well enough but after the tailplane rebuild the new larger diameter spigot occupied the entire depth of the tailplane leaving no room for a retaining bush.

My solution was a spring loaded 'retainer' that allowed the tailplane to simply to 'click' home but could be still removed with a positive pull.

The retainer is shim brass with a tiny 1.8mm diam brass 'button' with a hemispherical end soldered to it.

Tailplane retainer

Retainer clip in place

The retainer in place inside the 5mm diam tail tube.

And it seems to work very well or until the day it comes off in flight!

Today was just about calm enough to fly and it did, but not all went well!

The first attempt resulted in an immediate left hand roll into the ground which almost broke off the nose just ahead of the wing..Entirely my fault as the ailerons were not quite level and to make matters worse they were assisting the motor torque!

I gently pushed the nose back in place.

To my amazement it actually flew quite well, rather like the Skyray and ridiculously slowly but as the almost severed nose also carries the battery just the most gentle of flights and a 'flop' landing directly into the gentle breeze.

The LH side of the nose. A tensile break that goes from top to bottom.

LH side nose break

The compression damage on the opposite side.

RH side nose break

As the LH wing tip hit the ground it pulled the LE out of the fuselage a bit

LH wing LE pulled out

And probably the hardest to repair the TE of the wing pushed in and punctured the duct.

LH wing TE pushed in

Hopefully not to hard to fix.

The next flight will be on video!

Repairs underway.

First the split on the RH side of the nose was glued together to stabilise the structure. When dry this allowed the compression damage to be cut away between the fusleage formers.

Nose rebuild

The planking in the process of being replaced with a jury balsa strut in place to avoid ending up with a 'banana' nose!

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 04/05/2012 09:30:37

I just managed to get it complete before the weather closed in.

It was nevertheless rather too windy with a heavy overcast and the light was poor, but it flew.

Depron Hawker P1121 from Quorneng on Vimeo.

No apologies for keeping rather high but the glue had not had time to fully harden so I did not want to risk anylthing.

It will look better in sunshine - if & when we eventually get some!

Its always satisfying to build something from scratch and see it fly.

Flew again this morning with the aim of pushing the envelope a bit.

The comparison with the similarly powered Skyray is interesting.

Being a delta the Ray has of course 'lighting' roll and pitch control and a slightly better thrust to weight ratio but at speed it is very twitchy in pitch in fact it 'feels' like it is loosing stability as the speed builds up. I have not yet plucked up courage to see if it really has a Vne!

The Hawker on the other hand 'feels' quite solid at speed and looks like it can go a bit faster too. Slow speed flight is very similar but not a patch on the Ray for aerobatics. As I was concerned at a lack of roll control I 'built in' equal aileron deflection (the Ray has quite a bit of mechanical differential) and not surprisingly with no rudder it displays significant adverse yaw at slow speed. (My humble DX6A tx does not have an aileron differential capability!)

Overall it appears each is mimicking its full size characteristics. The Ray was nimble, noted for its aerobatic performance but had distinct flight envelope limitations. The much bigger Hawker was of course never flown but was intended to intercept inter-continental bombers.

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 05/05/2012 12:27:19:

(My humble DX6A tx does not have an aileron differential capability!)

If you mean a Dx6i, Simon, it certainly does. In the Setup menu, activate 'Dualaileron'

Then go to the Adjust menu and scroll down to Differential. Wind in what you need.....thumbs up

Pete

Ah, forget all that - I see from the vid you are on 35Mhz.........embarrassed

Great job, anyway!

Edited By Pete B on 05/05/2012 13:07:54

No I mean a SkySport 6A. No menus no computer just a few dip switches and presets under the battery cover..

The manual does claim aileron differential but it only appears to work when they also used a flaperons so its mechanical differential only.

Memo to self - get a modern TX!

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 05/05/2012 19:16:45

Nicer weather today with some sun. I hoped it would stand out better in the sun.....er......not really, so I have edited out the bits when you couldn't see it!! The picture break up occured during the upload to Vimeo.

Chucked it about a bit more but still rather windy.

The difference in the way it rolls left and right is interesting.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 06/05/2012 13:18:31