Richmond Park flying

Engine Doctor

Hi I was following the post re the Richmond park Flying field and its been removed . I have no problem with the removal but a short explanation from Admin would be courteous . The reason I was following it was that I started flying there in the early sixties but gave up due the restrictions on noise , the reduced flying times and the horendous bus journey from Clapham junction trying not to smash your model . i phoned Holly Lodge Info desk in Richmond park and was told that flying still goes on in the park and was sent the rules posted on the park notice board. apperently thes are hopelessly out of date and are due to be changed /updated soon.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 13/09/2011 10:20:49

Hi ED, it was removed as someone pasted a bit of html that didn't agree with the forum. Sadly, and for all sorts of reasons, we can't always leave an explanation when a thread is removed, however.....  

I spoke to James (nice chap) from the club yesterday and, when he gets a moment, said he'll get some info to me and either he or I were going to start a new thread (which you've now done) with all the info as to what they're trying to do. They're quite a progressive club and looking to help/encourage beginners with new initiatives.

Club link is here in the meantime.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 13/09/2011 10:24:34

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 13/09/2011 11:05:58

Good morning ED,

We have been working closely with the Royal Parks Commissioner to get the rules up to date, if you care to look at our dedicated site you will see the new rules. As soon as we find a sign writer we will get the sign renovated!

Quite a few of us still fly at the park, busiest times are undoubtedly at the weekends but not too crowded. Weekdays you have an older set of flyers mainly flying between 10am and 1pm, I expect you will see some friendly faces that you may recognise - many have also been flying here for the last 40 years.

I’ll contact Holly Lodge and ask them to only give out the new rules, I was unaware that this was not actioned yet so thanks for bringing this to our attention.

You may be interested to know that we have an anemometer near the flying field which gives live wind readings as well as graphing that last 24hours – it can be useful and save you from a wasted journey to the field.
More information can be found on aour website - www.rpff.org

James

Edited By James p on 13/09/2011 10:49:35

Edited By James p on 13/09/2011 10:51:05

Edited By James p on 13/09/2011 10:51:58

Hello James thanks for the update . I have been on your website and it looks very good. I was doing a nostalgia trip re Richmond park . I would like to come and visit but you know what its like , get a nice day and its off to the club for a fly . I'm glad to see that the royal Parks have seen some sense and allowed flyng to continue albiet electric (or have I mis-read it ) I now live in north kent so its unlikely that I will visit but you never know . Keep up the good work.
Regards
E.D.

Thanks for your kind words E.D,

You should come and visit, as you may know - we do not have an official Club for the flying field, the locals that attend like to keep it this way, its a very friendly place to fly and everyone helps and looks out for each other - real community spirit!

Indeed - IC is not allowed at the filed for numerous reasons so electric flight is the norm but we do have the greatest concentrate of F3K pilots in the country who regualy fly here, not to mention Mike Stern who took 3rd place in the international F3K championships earlier this year.

James

• 2 years later...

Hi All,

I am a beginner and I am looking for a place where I can learn and practice flying a RC helicopter. Somebody told me there is flying field in Richmond Park and google brought me to this forum. I've seen this posts are quite old and I would like to know if there are still people flying in Richmond Park and if they welcome beginners.

Any advice about where I may go to practice is very appreciated. Right now I am searching for a flat place where I can start my first hooverings. I live in West Kensington and I would like to find a place nearby.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Kind regards,

Benjamin

Hi Benjamin,

Welcome to the forum! That link to the Richmond Park Flyers in the post above now seems to be dead, so that initiative has probably bitten the dust.......sad

However, you can ask a question of the park authority here. Hopefully they'll be able to clarify whether modelflying is currently practised in the park and, if so, they'd be likely to have contact details.

Good luck!

Pete

Hi all, We are very much still alive and kicking but our site is down while we relocate it - should be back up in a week or so!

Benjamin, you can fly in Richmond park but only at the flying field which is located opposite the rugby playing fields near the Sheen Gate roundabout. There is a large notice board (which is quite out of date but still in keeping) and a bin and bench which marks the centre of the flying area. Its quite public but you should have no problem as long as your wary of passers by. Only electric powered craft are allowed though.

Holler if you need a hand or further info

James

[email protected]

Thank you Pete, Ben and James for your quick response.

Ben, when you say “wormwood scrubs”, do you mean the park near Willesden Junction over ground station? Is there a flying area over there for RC helicopters? Or are you talking about an area near Richmond Park?

James, when you say “Only electric powered craft are allowed”, does it include electric helicopters? Or only planes?

In any case, I would like to visit you both to where ever you fly your air crafts. We may have a chat that will be interesting for sure.

I will contact you privately to arrange a meet up when possible,

Thanks a lot for your help,

Benjamin

Hi Benjamin....most parks these days around London are electric parkfly types only...Wormwood Scrubs flying field is at the back of the Infamous HM prison of the same name....you can find on it google maps near Ducane Road W12

Also there is a good field for flying all things electric at Cranford park near Heathrow....it's a huge place with a grass runway smack in the middle.....great for newbies and great for Heli's...!

If interested in the Heathrow site then PM me...I'd be more than happy to show you about (might just get me out of the house) as mojo has gone missing

Tony

Hi Tony,

If the flying field is well communicated by public transport then I am interested to visit it. I do not have car so I need to find a place where I can go by public transport. I want to avoid tube because I don't like to get under ground with lipo batteries (you never know what may happen).

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Benjamin

• 1 year later...