futaba model set ups

Phil 9

Advert

I don't understand -- what data would you download for a "model setup"? The transmitter setups for all my models depend on how I build them, what brand servos I use, what size horns on the controls, and probably quite a few other things including how I like to fly them.

So I'm not clear how you could have a single pre-defined setup for any model. How do Spektrum do it?

Its "core" data for a model, such as mixes, servo travel and direction, wing mix settings etc.
These are base line settings and after you install the file, its always advisable to check that things are the way you want them to be.
Obviously, fine tuning after installation /flying is your responsibility, but it does save you having to figure out all the mixing etc that would be required for say, a four servo glider wing.

Posted by Allan Bennett on 14/09/2011 20:34:00:
So, presumably, it's for popular RTF or BnF models, where everything's installed in a standard way?

Yup. Also, some people like to download the setups used by others, with all the little tweaks such as camber and reflex settings etc.
Just think of it as a basic building block, from which to start your own building.
Some people like building....but hate the digging and concreting of the foundation.

yes i just got a new 8fg super after using a DX6i.

I was trying to build mixes using the free programs and getting all mixed up.

last night I had another go and all the mixes I needed where indeed altready pre programed in. Once I figured out what mixes i needed ie air brake = crow breaks and
ail-cmbflp = couple flap to aileron I soon had a good set up (every function I intend to use there are still more options available but I dont need them).

so far I am impressed with my new tx I dont think I will need anything this can not provide.
the case does feel a bit plastic to me and I do miss the push button throttle cut of the DX6i but I can put up with that

Yes, I've yet to find a model set up that I've used that isn't pre-programmed into the 8FG - amazing isn't it.

Re throttle cut offs - well yes there is no set button - but remember on the plus side you do have the ability to set absolutely any function to absolutely any switch! Yes, "any switch" including the sticks! The full implications of that only hit me relatively recently - if you fly electric for example you can set your timer to start and stop off your throttle! Now maybe lots of folks do this - but I don't think I've been able to do that on a Tx before.

BEB

I link my timer to the throttle with my Futaba 10C -- the facility is presumably on the 9 too, from which the 10C evolved. For my fixed-wing models I trigger it at about 10% throttle, and for my heli I trigger it at about 50% because I'm not yet able to do 3D.

As for push button throttle cut, I hate it! One of my pupils has it on his Spektrum trannie and, instead of flicking a switch, as I do on my Futaba, I've got to hold the button down on his until the engine stops. If I release the button too soon, the engine sometimes comes back to life, and holding the button is a distraction I could do without when I'm busy landing. (I like to kill the engine when I'm within a metre or so of the ground -- maybe not the "correct" way to do things, but it helps prevent the model floating on into the goalposts or bushes.)

I've not had "posh" Tx's like that before Allan. Maybe you could do it on my previous but I was never aware of it, but with the uniformity of the 8FG - any switch, any function - it suddenly dawned on me.

Mind you maybe one reason I've never thought of it is I started flying electric models at all only 6 months ago or so!

BEB

• 4 months later...
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if the FP-R128DF is P.C.M if so then does anyone know which number, is it 1024.
I've got my Futaba receiver for sale and i don't know whether its PCM, I should really no.. oops

Cheers
Tom

@Tom....no it isn't...its FM.....if it was PCM it would be FP-R128DP....

Certainly interesting what these Txs can do.....I have the timer set off the throttle starting at zero.....very useful for lekky flight because at zero you're not using any power...

I didn't like the trottle cut idea initially but I've warmed to it.....I use a three position switch...Pos A...fast idle for low throttle flying....spins etc. Pos B tickover for landing...Pos C...stops the engine. I also use a mix back into the throttle to "hold" the servo at idle.....once activated if anyone knocks the throttle stick it doesn't accelerate the engine (or start the motor!!)

On a more curmudgeonly note why would you want to download the Tx settings? Surely you should be left with SOMETHING to do......ARTFs will start to come with a pilot soon....someone to go flying for you....you meet him at the door on a Sunday...he loads your models into your car & takes them to the field...flys them for you & then brings them back home again.....whilst you stay at home...reseaching your next model......

Or am I just being silly.....?