Tony Nijhuis 45" spitfire build (first for donkys years!)

mightypeesh

What you forget Shane is that Tony builds his using special helium filled Nijhuis adhesive, where as we use church lead in large amounts. I have decided to embrace the weight, and use it as a training aid to improve on flying skills so as not to get hung up about it. I would not like to hand launch at that weight though! Maybe make a take off dolly?I hope you get there, so good luck with it. My 4s lipo (yes just the one, all my others are 3s) has decided to die on me, so I need to save up the pennys before i get back up with the spit.

Cheers, Simon

Saved about 150 grams on my Spit, used to fly with two 3s 2200 lipos just behind the firewall but angled slightly rearward, but only using one connected so that the next flight would also be with a 'fresh' battery, she balanced quite well at about 75 mm from leading edge. Tried going to one battery installed but could now angle it slightly forward this would help c of g , then cemented 15 grams of fine (almost fluid) lead shot into the nose cone of the spinner taking care that it levelled nicely before adding some ca , result is the c of g is nudging between 75 and 80 mm , plane is 150 grams lighter. Flew her on a really blustery day and she flew really well , the landing was more of an arrival but I got away with it! She tips the scales at 3lb 12 oz , flying time is short at 3 to 4 mins before power drops off and says time to come in , but I'm happy with that......Trev

• 2 weeks later...

Hi gents. glad you are in the air Trev, Wind does indeed help. Hi shane. Just bite the bullet and stick the weight up front. I had to put over 1/2 pound of lead up front in the end, and I have squeezed in a 2650 4s pack which has helped. It is a scary amount of weight, but it cannot fly without the c of g in the right place so go for it. I have flown mine a couple of times now, and it keeps getting easier. I even enjoyed it today! final weight ends up at 2kilo's. Yep heavy, but she still flys fantastically. Took on really blustery weather today no probs, I am so pleased now I have her trimmed out. Here are a couple of flying shots (Thanks Eddie)

seafir1_1779x1073.jpg

seafire_1779x1186.jpg

I have learnt so much from this build, and feel that I am a better builder and flyer for it. She is by no means an easy plane to fly and land because of the weight, but that is part of the learning curve, (and as anybody watching me trying to take off - she noses over well too!) Thanks again for all the support and comments,

Cheers, Simon

• 1 year later...

Hello Simon. I have recently purchased the Tony Nijhuis 46" Spitfire and found your build log. You seem to have done a fantastic job with your build and i'm sure helped many people with the excellent build log. I know i shall be referring to it. I saw somewhere in the log that you were asked if you would sell one of your molded pilots but it was not clear to me if you did fulfill that request. I would very much like to use one of your pilots. Please would you consider selling me one.

Regards,

Peter. (aka: Spitfire fan)

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

To bend and mould balsa use ammonia either dilute and soak in it or brush on neat The wood will become plastic and bend however you like. Once dry the ammonia evaporates and the wood returns to normal but in the new shape. It's amazing . Give it a try