62.5 Inch Tony Nijhuis Spitfire Build Log.

GrahamC

Well, I took the Spitfire up the field today and decided that I had run out of reasons not to maiden it.

The grass was not too long, but the field is bumpy at the moment. I had to hold in full up to get the aircraft going without nosing over. THis resulted in a less than elegant takeoff which fortunately I got away with. trimmed her out and settled down to fly some circuits and figures of eight in order to get the feel of her,

After a while I slowed her down and deployed the flaps, which resulted in a fairly mild nose up. Dropped the wheels which came down nicely, flew into cicuit and called landing. She settled nicely into a glide slope, and a smidgeon of power smoothed the landing. I managed to keep the tail down while there was air flow over the elevators, but she nosed over as she came to stop

There was not masses of power from the ASP 61 and I may try a 12x6 rather than the 13x5 to get a bit more bite, as there was no problem slowing down with the flaps deployed. This is my first four stroke, and I may be able to get it to sing a little more with some experience.

A few pics and videos...

The final photo thinking "I may not have the chance of another..."

Not a great photo, but proof that she flew:

Then, when I got home, I looked at the videos on my phone, and found this one. The encouraging words you can hear are from my son!

-
My son and another younger member of the club shot this video of the maiden. It's a bit... well you will see.

Fortunately they are both better pilots than they are camera operators!

Edited By GrahamC on 24/03/2012 19:37:22

Edited By GrahamC on 24/03/2012 19:39:12

Edited By GrahamC on 24/03/2012 19:40:42

• Like 1

Congratulations Graham !! Bit of a hairy take off eh? Is it maybe a touch tail heavy ? Typical prob with Spits apparently.Well done-have been following your thread as I've started on my Topflite Mk 1X some time ago but stopped building just after Xmas having made up the tail surfaces .Maybe you've inspired me to recommence the build.I 've been put off by the high wing loading & diminishing reflex actions .

Myron YO13 old gits dept

Congratulations, Graham!

Nice to see that you finished your Spitfire. Where do you have your cg? I agree with Myron that it seems to be a bit tail heavy.

My spitfire is now ready for paint, av hopefully I will be ready for maiden in a month or so. Do you think I can have cg as indicated on the plan?

/Mattias

Edited By Firstflight on 25/03/2012 18:50:11

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 25/03/2012 22:33:45

A nice model smiley

I have the ASP 61 in my Kyosho Spit on a 12x6, probably just about right but no pylon racer. I manage to get just over 10,000 rpm (average) with a slightly rich setting on Irvine 10%. My still pretty new OS 62V is doing the same whilst probably 1/2 a turn rich, not wound it right up yet!

Well, the CofG on the plan is marked between 90 and 105mm back from the leading edge at the wing root. Mine when I checked it without weight was about 20mm back from the rearward mark, so I've added 300g of lead to the engine mount (gulp) - but the build article said that this might be neccessary. I also have five 38mm repair washers on the engine shaft in front of the prop adding just short of 50g there. This brings the Cof G to smack in the middle of the suggested range, and I'm under 3.5Kg.

If it were any further forwards I would have no hope on the ground at all. The lurch for the sky in the maiden was caused by the full up elevator I was using to try and hold the tail down for the takeoff. She unstuck much quicker than I expected!

When I had her going she flew really nicely, and the fact that she didn't tipstall in on that takeoff is testimony to the quality of the design!

I do have a bit of down trim in her, so she may still be a little tail happy, but given the bumpiness of our strip I may have to live with that!

I'm going to try her with a 12x6 prop rather than the 13x5 to see if that gives a little more pull.

If you are building one, make sure you build the back end as light as posible, and remember you can get all the gear in the tank bay on or in front of the CofG. I may consider fitting a flight battery in front of the fire wall to get that mass forwards a bit - there is only just room!

Well time for a quick update. I flew the Spitfire twice today with a 12x6 prop and it was much better with plenty of pull for scale type flying. It looked fantastic with real presence in the air, and the little ASP sounded fantastic.
I had to begin my take up run right in the corner of the field where the cars manuvering have stopped the grass growing as much. Fortunately there was hardly any wind to speak of today, so the direction of the takeoff was less critical.
The club mower is currently receiving its annual service, so it won't be cut that soon.
Now I'm happy with the way that it flies, I'm going to finish off the few odds and ends that need doing before I fly it again. Hopefully as the summer comes, the field will firm up a little and takeoff a will be more viable.
I managed to get the wheel wells lined before I went to the field today, I need to sort out doors for the wheel bays, reinstall the pilot after his nap, fit the radiators and touch up the paint in one or two places.
The general opinion at the field was that a little down thrust might not go amiss, so I may try and slip washers behind the top bolts on the mount.
Generally speaking I'm delighted with it, and have started thinking about what to build next!
Hopefully I will post a better video when I've finished all the bits and pieces, and fly her again.

• 2 months later...

Just got the plan for one of these and am wiating for the rest of the cnc'd wood and stuff.Got to have 2 back ops this year so this and my basic 3d should keep me sain while i'm stuck with shuffling about.

This threads gonna be real usefull,may need a few what seem like obvious answers along the way though.

Good choice, and more than happy to help if you have questions. The Spitfire flies really nicely, and with the flaps deployed (well worth adding in my opinion) settles in to the most beautiful landings. I'm hoping to post a decent video soon.

I used a lot. Probably not as much as scale, but at least 45 degrees, and probably nearer 50. They certainly slow the plane down, and I'm glad I fitted them, as it takes all the floaty-ness out. You just need to slow down before you deploy them!

Looking at the video, its a bit hard to be sure because the model is quite far away, but I don't think that model is tail heavy. There is no sign of the "roller-coaster" effect associated with the twitchy elevator you'd get if she was nose heavy. Also left to herself she seems to go nose down in the turns - a tail heavy model won't do that.

I think your only problem was that you had to hold in full up on the take off run and she got airborne too early, and then had a mini tip stall - I bet that got your heart beating a bit faster!

Nosing over, as we know, is a classic Spit problem. I'm afraid there isn't much you can do except get them to cut the grass!

BEB

Hi Graham. I've just got to the point on my build where I've sprayed everything in high build primer and suddenly am rather aware of bits that aren't as good as I thought they were (like the wing bandage problem you experienced). You appear to have used some filler on top of the cellulose high build primer- what did you use? Was it a spackle type (lightweight filler) filler? I've got plenty of that so that would be my preference but I obviously don't want to do it only to find it's incompatible with celly.

Hi Ben - I used lightweight filler from B&Q - as you say - what is called spackle. - It weighs almost nothing.

Where its not too bad, I would consider extra applications of high build primer - especially towards the front of the airframe where added weight is less of an issue. I damaged the area where the pilots flap door would be with some over zealous masing tape while attaching the cockpit. I filled it, and hit it with about three coats of the primer.

I suspect that the spackle will stick to primer much better than to neat Poly-C or Varnish.

Hi Del.I made the unit, and it wasn't that difficult.

I found this picture as it happens which will give you an idea of what is going on. There still seems to be a problem with squashing eternally hosted images - but hopefully if you click on the link you will see the picture.

I used a 'U' made from a flat bar of aluminium. You can buy this in B&Q. I then epoxied a hard wood block into the 'U' and drilled it through at an angle.

I used a scrap piece of threaded rod with a nylock on one end, and assembled in the following order.

1. Aluminium U assembly
  2. Collett type steering arm
  3. Ply plate with hardwood block epoxied on and drilled through
  4. Collett

The whole assembly was painted with silver Humbrol, and an axle was fashioned from a piece of scrap wire.

Here is the unit in place

And finished. It sits on top of another ply plate which is glued in position. THe screws hold it in place and mean it can easily be romoved for repair. (Not neccessary so far!)

The steering arm is connected externally to the rudder horn.

Edited By GrahamC on 15/06/2012 18:21:33

Edited By GrahamC on 15/06/2012 18:21:48

• 1 month later...

Hi CS. Yes she is still flying very well. The HobbyKing retracts are holding up very well indeed, and she really looks the part in the air. She flys very scale, and doesn't seem to have any of the nasty characteristics that Spitfires can have.

The only problem really is ground handling. I've never managied to taxi her in, the slightest divot and she will go on her nose. Landing isn't a problem as there is sufficient airflow over the elevators to keep the tail down, but any thrust from the prop and over she goes.

When taking off, I either get somone to give it a shove, or use the 'kick and go' you can see in the video!

So.. if you do want a Spit, she is nice to build, and nice to fly, but a bit of a challenge when it comes to lining up the ribs. If you are not sold on a SpitI would consider somthing with the retracts close to the leading edge of the wing. Its just nice to be able to taxi out and go. I'm working on a similarly sized Zero at present which should be better I hope!

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched the video (the good one!) of your Spit, and she is absolutely wonderful.

The fast smooth turns and passes were superb, she looked terrific, sounded fantastic as well. Very nice take off as well. Good pilotingthumbs up

Coming into landing, with gear down and flaps deployed, I genuinely thought it was a real Spit, it looked that good, especially just after touchdown. cool

I must admit I wasn't that sure on the colour scheme before, but watching that I have changed my mind, she looks great! Love the invasion stripes as well!

That video has made me very tempted indeed to save up and get this instead of the PM Hornet, so what if it is nearly 3 times the price!

Do you think I will have the flying ability, considering I have Dad with me who is very experienced?

And will it take an OS 70 Surpass? That is the engine I own.

Well done and thanks in advance.

CS

Concorde and two Spitfires!

They are Spits, so it is kind of relevant!