New RCM&E Sunderland Flying Boat

Guys,

Just posted some pictures in the Gallery of the new Sunderland flying boat. The plan should be out in the new year.....

Test flew the model a couple of weeks ago and after some initial motor/battery problems, she flew an absolute treat.....a big trainer.

Finished the painting last night so if the weather hold, we should be doing some water trials in the next two weeks

So here's the spec

72" span

4X  2409-12T and 25amp controllers-brushless (from BRC hobbies)

4x 2250mah lipos

AUW 7lbs 4oz

VAC form turretts, canopies, cowls and cnc former & rib pack will be availiable

Tony

One of the main Sunderland airbases during the second World War had thier base nearby, OBAN. The local newspaper The Oban Times gives a good mention to them and thier crews this week approaching Rememberance Sunday. The last Surviving crew member of 210 squadron, Tom Lennox still lives there.

I do not know can I fit this model into my plans much as I would love to. Given I do, then I think 210 squadron markings are what I would like to use.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tony,

Absolutely beautiful,i want one.This will go nicely with my lancaster, wellington ,spitfire and when i build it ,the typhoon.

The way in which you design your planes make for building a trouble free aircraft,  i for one love to build from your planes and will continue to do so.

What have you got planned for the next design?...............

Have you ever considered the JU-52(oh  please....im on my knee's)  .

vince

Hi everybody, for all those who are looking forward to building and flying the Sunderland, imagine actually having the pilot of a full size Sunderland handing the controls over to you when you are about 18yrs old and actually flying one, shant forget that memory in a hurry, its always been my favourite aircraft, got the Airfix kit to build as well, happy memories.

Hi Everybody,

Ive just discovered Tony`s Sunderland---- Now were talking!! I served on the last Sunderlands in service with the  R.A.F. that was on 205/209 squadron at RAF Seletar, Singapore in the late 50`s I have loved the aeroplane ever since, so I really must build this one

Dave

Hi Dave, how nice to hear from you, would you believe it that you are the first person that I have come accross since I left the RAF in 1953 who worked on the Sunderlands, I was stationed at Calshot and left there when they started to close it down as a Sunderland base, actually the week they did the tests on the Princess and I missed that by a day and was posted to RAF Aldergrove, at Calshot I worked in 235 DSS on the water and loved every minute of it. Anybody else out there who worked on the 'boats. Dennis.

Hi Dennis,It wasn`t all fun at Seletar--- I had to watch while hordes of civilian staff hauled the boats out of the water and dumped them unceremoniously on the grass in front of our billet and proceeded to chop them to bits--- sacrilege!!! I actually flew in DP198 "W"on it`s last flight.

Dave

Hi Dave, know what you mean, we had to break one up at Calshot, the main spar had fractured and to comply with the RAF regs the whole aircraft had to be broken up so that nothing could be used in anything else as spares. I managed to get hold of some of the internal wing bracings which was stainless steel oval section and a Gill handle and turned it into a paper knife that I still use everyday.Any idea how you can put a pic on here as I have a great one of a Sunderland. 'D'.