New RCM&E Sunderland Flying Boat

Why does stuff have to be broken up - I can see why one stressed bit of airframe bodes ill for the rest, but presumably not the avionics or engine?

I've always loved this plane - like someone else who posted here, I had the airfix model on my ceiling a few decades back.

Great looking model, Tony. Once I'm finished your spitfire, who knows?!

K

Hi Dave, ours had the Pratt & Whitney Twin Wasps in, wish I had a quid for every fishtail exhaust I have changed because of pinholes burnt in them and the props I have stood on the cowling to file the leading edge smooth from the water cutting the ali edge of the props, all a long time ago but seems like yesterday, I shall have to be carefull else I sall be crying in my bowl of pobs next!!!.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Tony/Guys,

Great looking Sunderland Tony!  I am a wee bit miffed as I'm 80% of the way through a foam Sunderland, build thread on RCGroups here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=874268

Looks like a similar power set up too, I would have been glad to have built your semi kit had it been available, or I had known about it, Doh! I'll keep checking your web site to see, would make a brilliant christmas present.

Keep up the sterling work.

Cheers, regards to all, Al.

• 1 month later...

Never mind the JU 52 what about the whirly?  Great job Tony love those big flying boats, if you have the time check out a fellow club members Martin Mars in these links to u-tube; this aircraft ( the Hawai mars) is based at sproat lake here on Vancouver Island and is used as a water bomber to fight the fires that we sometimes have to deal with in this part of the world, to watch the full size fly is something to behold.

Waynes model spans 10 feet, is powered by four geared 480 BRUSHED motors with 3 blade GAP (ground adjustable pitch) props and weighs a scant 8 1/2 lbs, I believe he has it set up with differential motor drive on the port/starboard motors so he can steer it on the water ( yet to be tried ). 

We have a float fly in september so you can bet we will all be watching, absolutely no pressure.

Again great job look forward to the plan...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0HADIZI-cQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMR1w_3Xj70

Have ordered Plans and CNC parts plus all the other bits for the SunderlandIt's a winter project so it will give me time to put some electric bits on Santa's list. I have an Airfix kit comming and i will build that first to use as a reference, Looking for motors on the web no one seems to have any ( lets blame it on the Olympics ) but then there's lots of time before i need them. Fred. This is my wallpaper on my PC
http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/30187/sunderland1vg_0.jpg

I contacted Tony by email and he told me it was the same price as th B17. so order your parts as the B17 and the in the area left for buyers comments put down its the Sunderland you want. This I did early today ond Tony comfirmed that it was the Sunderland I had ordered and it would be about a week. As I am low on wood I will order a wood pack from SLEC as the wood at our model shop is like teak. FRED

• 2 months later...