Para motor Attempt!

David,
Get up in that loft I say, have been looking on Flea Bay and came across these

I'm wondering whether they are the same kind as you can get for RC models? Except there is 5 metres on these strips.

Or these, perhaps cable tied to the frame work?

We can't be letting Chris have all the night flying fun at next years fly-in!!

Stuart,

Control is quite good but you have to think a turn in advance as its a little slow at reacting, but of course that could well be me!

Rich

Advert

Mmmm, night flying....there's a thought.

Ordered some 4s batteries to try and help power mine up a bit more, while I am waiting thought I would try a couple of cheap £1 multi LED torchesd from pound land. Very light and run on 3 AAA's

Even if this never flies right I can use the 4s to give my RPG a kick up the ar*e

Cheers

Rich

Okay everyone....

I have come, cap in hand and head bowed in appology....

It appears that now I have dragged my Sky Surfer out of the loft and wiped of the years of dust..... I have given some inaccurate information to you all...

I previously mentioned that the turning was completed by steering the brake lines only....
this was WRONG!!!

To better show what actually happens and how the canopy is connected I have done some pictures!!!

So as you can now see, both front and rear lines are pulled together to turn.

AoA is adjusted by moving the rear line attachment up and down for different wind strengths!!

Sorry for the screw up in my advice!!

I have a feeling this will almost kill the swaying that Rich is finding with his currently.

So, now I am off to the dungeon to pay for my mistakes!!!

Dave

Rich,
Lights up the foil pretty good, it is sure to fly with the 4s motor. I tried mine the weekend on 3 s, it did fly but needed full power most of the time.
The finger lights arrived today and they easily attach to the framework, I am hoping that the wind will die down as it gets dark and I may go out and see if it illuminates it enough to take to the air.

Dave,

It seems there are 2 ways of controlling these things, you were quite correct about using the brake lines as controls so I have read. The brake line control looks to be how how the full size do it.
Will have to try the way yours is set up and see if will cure the rocking like you have suggested thanks for the photos, looks like a nice model....even better with lights on it (hint hint)

If anyone hears reports of UFO's tonight in the West Midlands, fear not as it is only me releasing the stresses of work up at the field. And Boy it has been stressful over the last month!

Durr Duu Durr Duuuuuuuu (that was a sad attempt at Close Encounters)

Rich

Thanks Rich.

Are you being accompanied tonight by your Cameragirl?? Need to see video of the night flight....

With all those lights on it I think it might be the brightest thing in the night sky!!!

I have found a snag with mine however.... It looks like the All in One controller board has died in storage... Power not going to the motor. Have had the circuit test across the motor and it reads fine so must be the board....

Ah Well!!

Gives me a reason to swap it over to 2.4Ghz!!!
Will also be able to use the space for a small lipo for the led lights, aswell as the 2.4 Rx!!

Dave

Yes,
Thats the plan.... Going to rig together some LEDs to go around the gondola.
Some pointing up at the canopy (white ones), a Port and Starboard light, and a headlight!

They really are quite bright (as you saw at Greenacres) so I sould only need about 3 for the canopy, 1 each for the Port and Starboard, and 1 for the headlight!!

Probably wont get around to doing those till in the new year sometime so no rush!!!

Dave

Dave,
Yes I got out. My camera has a night mode button but it turned out a bit black and white.

Had a couple of flights, not to bad in the air but really struggled knowing where the ground was! as you will see on the landing
We tried the normal video recording button and it looked like the colours were better, but the foil didn't open correctly. You will see/hear what happened.

Back to the drawing board!

Rich

Oh no, you guys are going to learn all the tricks of night flying at this rate!.

It is definitely a good idea to have a good area of ground lit up as you approach it. Something pointing down and forwards does the trick. There, I think we just re-designed the landing light

Keep going Rich and well done with the videos. I think Ian Jones was the only person able to get any shots of my night flying.

Debs
You summed that up exactly in one word at the end of the vid!!. Hope he's paying you over time for working nights!

All
Just a thought......due to the relativly slow flying speed of these, would they be more suited to a Slow Flyer type prop. I was anticipating having plenty of power with the 3sbattrey/motor combo I have which are struggling, and was just thinking maybe a "normal" shaped APC 12x6 is just not working efficiently at these low flying speeds??.

Any thoughts

Rich

Edited By Richard Elliot on 19/11/2011 19:33:34

Always worth a try Richard.
Mine will seem even slower compared to yours and Rich's.!!!

Rich... I think you need to somehow mount a few white ones INSIDE the canopy....... It doesnt look like the light penetrates through enough from the gondola!!

Good effort though.... Cant wait to see it in reality!!!

Dave

• 6 months later...

Just thought I would resurect this thread a bit...

I have just put some light onto mine ready for the Greenacres RCME Flyin in June...

I have only done round the propguard at the moment but they are very bright and should light up the canopy very nicely!!

So Thats them on but with the room light on!!!

And this ones are with the room lights off!!!!

Going to mount a small strip along the fuslage then it will be ready!!

Bring on Greenacres!!!!

Dave

wink

David,

That looks great! It should light up the foil really well, will the fuselage strip be the same colour?

Though not a paramotor I have nearly finished my night time gyro. I have just wired in a turnigy switch giving the ability to turn them on and off at will. It should be ready for Greenacres if I am able to go.

I made a short video tonight when I finished work, please excuse my English.

Rich

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 18/02/2013 16:55:30

• 8 months later...

Hi guys i have slowly be drawn to this kind of flying i have built a gondla and have a syphony beach 1.3 mtr foil this will have his maiden this week end but i have nbow been looking for a action man to build a power un it back pack for the hobbyking foils that being a 2 mtr so heres a couple of pics of the first build just to get the hang of things.

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 18/02/2013 16:43:46