Death of a scratch built Wot4

BB

I've flown this plane a lot in the last two seasons: And worked out that I'd put about 25 gallons through the Zenoah 23cc that was on the front. On inspection it was noted that every panel showed signs of fracturing. I couldn't trust myself to try and put it back together. Going to miss it

BB

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by David Ashby - RCME Admin on 14/11/2011 08:34:10:
...as long as it went out in style BB

It went out like a 'Klingon', "It was a good day to die"... full chat, no compromies. ETS was 74 MPH. 3' higher and 3' to the left and it would have made it. But, got my feel with if. One day I will build one myself I am sure.

The pic of the crash is actually on the backside of the tree ! The engine was 10 mtrs after the tree. The carb insulator broke and the carb landed 5 yards after the engine.

Ta for the comments.

BB

Posted by Alan 4 on 01/12/2011 21:00:01:
nowt like a total wreck to save the shall i rebuild it or not thoughts, shame, but move on, about your engine, zenoahs are great things, but, along with many others, are prone to displacing the crank when they get a belt, well worth checking over

Good point Alan. Engine is still in a bag, out of sight. But, will get round to checking it out soon.

The replacement is a Glens model Maule 74" - Crow braking & Flaps on this one

BB

I lost my 8 year old Wot 4 classic to battery failure last weekend.
I managed to piece enough of the fuel soaked sides together to make a template and cut off the fuse from the wing T/E forward.
I made two new sides and new bulkheads from scratch and it is all back together again, with only minor repairs required to the wing,curtesy of gorilla glue and thin balsa.
Hopefully test flight next weekend.

Darryl

Posted by BB on 01/12/2011 15:19:23:
Posted by David Ashby - RCME Admin on 14/11/2011 08:34:10:
...as long as it went out in style BB

It went out like a 'Klingon', "It was a good day to die"... full chat, no compromies. ETS was 74 MPH. 3' higher and 3' to the left and it would have made it. But, got my feel with if. One day I will build one myself I am sure.

The pic of the crash is actually on the backside of the tree ! The engine was 10 mtrs after the tree. The carb insulator broke and the carb landed 5 yards after the engine.

Ta for the comments.

BB

Good stuff, that's the spirit.....