Your dream project

Ernie

Hi guys, Now that winters nearly here, what about your big dream scale project?

You know, the one that's lurking in the back of the mind, just waiting for a wee shove to burst into fruition.................Mine is certainly a 1/4 scale Taube, that slow flying 1913/14 german reconnaissance job.   Some time ago, I built a Flair version, what a lovely thing, full of character, wires, and sticky out bits...The big problem is that there no originals left. (unless you know differently) There is a replica in Germany, but it's covered in a horrible plasticky fabric, that puts me right off

ernie

Advert

I am just about to begin building my ultimate scale model - an FW190A. It's my fav plane and now I have the piloting skills and building know how to attempt one.

Erm... big... How about- A B1B lancer 20foot span. swing wing. 4 Jetcat P160s.

- A V22 Osprey tiltrotor. Doesn't have to be big: just awesome

- An AMX International. Jet trainer. love this plane.

Jonathan

Which fw190 kit / plan are you building ? I am 3/4 of the way through a 60 inch BrianTaylor FW190 with a cnc part kit from Bob Holman. Once this is finished I am going to build a 70 / 80 inch version . I do think it has to be a short nose version to look right though. The long nose in-line versions didn't have quite the same prescence.

Actually I remember seeing a model of a harrier jump jet at Wroughton many years ago ( 20 or so at least ) - Thorpe brotherss possibly can't quite remember. This was of course before the days of mini turbines, and it was powered by OS IC engines driving ducted fans. Had the directional nozzles et al !

Wasnt brilliant in the transition, but it did work, and was credit to the engineers who built it.

Aplogies if it wasnt Paul and his brother, - was it David James?  - Hmmm ....the old memory cells are getting useless. 

Hi Timbo,

Surely not! A harrirer that long ago???  Is nothing in this world new? Hey! Full marks to those guys.  I wonder how they managed the lateral stability. Is it all on mixing sticks?  Perhaps two pilots.  One for flight controls and the other for jets...

We are not worthy... We are not worthy...

Regards, Rob 

Yes it was a two pilot jobby! And I reckon yes, it was about 20 years ago, because I remember being able to stand in the cold for hours without needing the toilet, or warm clothes, I didnt need spectacles to see the models up close, and I could hold a converstion with the other pilots without needing them to repeat everything twice

Dear Jonathon ,

Hi , the 190 has always been a particular favourite among my warbird choices . It has the right amount of menacing prescence along with practicality , style and performance . For me it is the German equivalent to the Spit and the 109 to the Hurri .

In finishing terms their are also so many more schemes when choosing a german warbird too !

Regards ,

Andy.

Hi Ernie ,

Re pre 30's  , a sad salutary tale about best practice with battery packs - I have just spent a fair bit of time and rebuilt / recovered / detailled up/ a secondhand Flair semi scale Sopwith pup . For a semi scale club hack it looked quite good and drew several admiring comments at its' debut.

I had not flown a bipe before the previous week , when I tried my Father in laws version and I was really impressed and looking forward to some serious dogfighting !

Unfortunately , the red Baron struck from nowhere halfway through its' first flight and despite valiant efforts on the sticks to revive the pilot he failed to respond at all and dived in from 40 feet , completely out of control - total obliteration !

To say I was somewhat disappointed , having been looking forward to several seasons of fun , would have been an understatement ! Such is the life of a modeller , these things happen .

Immediate post mortem of the bits to find out why control had failed did not show anything , the battery pack was showing fully charged and everything ok.

It was not until a couple of weeks later that I grabbed the same pack to test out the radio setup in a new Harvard . Then the strangest thing showed up - I fully charged the pack prior to test , fitted it and began checking positions / throws etc . After about the same length of time as the ill-fated pup flight , everything stopped dead. I checked all components , changed pack - all ok , put the original pack back - dead !

The pack in question was a vapextech 2400mAh 4.8 which was approx 1 to 2 years old - a quality make of no great age . Somehow it had developed a strange intermittent fault that could have lost me several models ! Yet it did not display any outward sign of damage or fault under test or charge . Needless to say it was immediately binned and a new "staycharged" pack ordered.

It just goes to show that the best practice is definitely new model - new batteries (only around £6.00 !) . Put a date sticker on and automatically bin anything older than 2 years .

I am however hooked on bipes and when I can once again muster enthusiasm for cutting all those ribs I will be building some ww1 / interwar models . The Se5a and 30's hawker biplanes have always been favourites . In the meantime , I finished a DB models Tiger Moth recently ( great kit - great company - great prices - great range) , but haven't had chance to fly it yet . I will have to get this airborne - with a new battery pack of course !

Andy.

Hi Andrew,

Did you take the pack apart for inspection? I remember reading a thread else where that may have been about these very packs. A similar thing had happened and when the guy took the covering off the pack it was found that the wires hadn't been soldered, but were held in place only by the shrink wrap!!!

Talking of jump jets have you seen this video! would have been better with sound but very stable & convincing all the same.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581512

Ernie,

As for early biplanes, I am still flying my 1/6th scale Sopwith Camel that was built from a free plan published in 98' A strange beast that is easy to fly as long as you don't allow it to go off and do it's own thing! I'm currently working on the T. Nijhuis Typhoon, but have recently bought a plan from the Xlist for a Fokker DVI, a very under modelled WWI aircraft. There was only a hand full of full size A/C built as it was quickly replaced with the DVII. It is a very attractive A/C with a DRI fus and DVII wings, and i intend this to be my next build after the Typhoon as an adversary to my Camel.

Walts. 

Currently top of my list is a 'golden era' racer - I really fancy having a go at the Laird Super Solution - a shoulder wing type biplane with a big roundy motor and massive spats - it looks like something out of a Bugs Bunny cartoon!  Kermit green and yellow colour scheme, that shouldn't attract too much attention!

I to fancy a big Mosquito. But, to be really outrageous. A trip to USA get a decent RV American style, 16ft box trailor, filled with Jets n' things and take it all out to some salt flats with like minded folk and have fun

Batteries, it might have been me who mentioned unsoldered leads on a new pack, was in an all new trainer on it's maiden, one circuit and splatt.

• 2 weeks later...

Been looking at a 6 foot long XB-70 but one or two probs with the plans, a) the detailed modellers plans I have are all out of proportion modified to a smaller wing and shorter fuse, b) those I have that are the right proportions have no model making detail so I have to sit down and combine the two on the drawing board.

What I had in mind was to build it as a glider but with the ability to accept a power pod in the tail end with a pusher prop, later on maybe removal of the electric motor and prop and fit three or four ducted fans as the XB-70 lower fuse section has loads of space for it, just a big long box with the front end open air intakes and the original aircraft had six J93's in a row across the tail so bags of space there too,

regards,             Terry