Your dream project

Ernie

• 2 months later...
Advert

Have overcome the dissappointment of the Sopwith demise and found a solution to facing cutting out all those ribs again - I have bought a Dennis Bryant plan and laser cut kit for a large SE5a from Bob Holman in the states ( [email protected] ) lovely chap to deal with and what a bargain - $2 to £1 ! love that exchange rate . Cannot wait to get started , must finish off the BT FW190 to clear the decks. ( Also ordered laser part kits for BT 109E , Hurricane , Spit Mk1 and Typhoon - should keep me busy for a while ! )

Hi Andrew,

Where do you guys put all these planes you build?  I started this "thang" last year; I've assembled one ARTF Boomerang, bought another "finished" Sportsman Aviation Spit and already the shed is feeling full.  Mind you, with no garage and two full-size bikes in there, no wonder I'm having toubles...

Regards, Rob 

Terence, there is a German plan for the XB 70 I do not know if it is any good but it is nearly 9 feet long. The photo of the model looks in proportion.

My own dream project woud be a B58 Hustler with 4 turbojets, though I think that two might be sufficient!

• 4 weeks later...

My Grandpa during the second world war maintained the Mosquitos years ago, so I would like to have ago at a giant!  Looking at building a 1/4,1/5 or 1/6 scale Mosquito.  Would like to use construction techniques as near to the original as possible,  plywood and madaplin!  Has any one built one? Can you recommend any Plans?

Regards,  Dan.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My dream project is a Concorde!  It will be a while before I am ready to give it a go and will need to develop my flying skills in the meantime.  I have started researching the project but so far have found no trace of any suitable scale plans; I am begining to think I'll have to create my own!   I am thinking of something in the area of 1/25 th scale which would come out at around 8ft long with 3ft wing span. As I cannot afford real jets I am assuming that ducted fans will be the solution.

I do hope to turn this dream to reality in the not too distant future but will work up to it with a couple of simpler models first.  If anyone has any ideas on source of plans I'd be glad to hear.

Thanks for your suggestions Rob and Eric; gives me a couple of options to follow up.  One of the things I wanted in my dream project was an element of uniqueness and I suspect that if it comes to fruition it will be on the rare side if not totally unique.   Where were you suggesting I put the wanted ad, Eric?

My dream is a scale Concorde with a true scale wing. We all know the lovely ogee wing plan but if you visit a real Concorde just look at the wing underside, more twists & curves than Marylin Monroe!

It is slowly passing into history but when you see one in the flesh it makes you realise just what a technical achievement it was. Never flew in it myself but saw (and heard) it fly many times - fantastic!

• 9 months later...
Just found this thread of long ago and thought I'd re-invigorate it with my 10 cents worth.

Dream build for me would be a classic retro prop-driven airliner with lots of engines, 100" wingspan or thereabouts. Not too big, but big enough to have a presence.

Something like a Douglas DC-4, Super Constellation etc, possibly even self designed fantasy scale,  lots of bare aluminium, lots of IC 4-strokes singing in perfect harmony.

Second option - Large scale Spifire or Mustang with a home made, working V8 engine!  There's plenty of videos of home-made 1/4 scale V8s on youtube and the sound is amazing. Seems wasted in the model cars they put them in.

One day....

Well done Shaun for re-invigorating, not seen this one before.

My dream project is a 1/6th scale B-26 Marauder - making it just under 12ft span if it is one of the later version with the longer wing. I think I want to make it in foam!

I chose 1/6th as I want to make the clothes for action men and put them in as the crew (my ultimate flying doll's house) 

I'm still collecting information for it. My original idea was to build a 1/12th version but then I came across a Wowplanes foam kit which is a little smaller and not entirely scale but from the videos flys great, so I'm now going to build that first and see how much it can help with the 1/12th version. It was really weird when I found the Wowplanes kit because the construction method is identical to how I had sketched out my ideas for my 1/12th prototype, spooky. Appreciating the work that had gone into producing the kit I just had to have one.

I've yet to even fly a twin, but the dream of building a big flying Marauder has been with me a long time. Even better I learnt to fly from a wartime Marauder base for some reason Marauders seem to come up in my life, yet I've never even seen one either on the ground or in the air!

As ever, if anyone finds plans, drawings or useful photos I would love to see them.

Edited By Gemma Fairchild on 24/03/2009 12:13:12

Edited By Gemma Fairchild on 24/03/2009 12:14:26

Hi Gemma,
                      would you like two sets of plans for A/B-26 one of them control line well detailed and the other for r/c? had a word wiv me Uncle Willie in the US as I knew he had some and he sent me the two plans plus copies of the old mag one of them came from, he redraws old plans in CAD and these look pretty good,

best regards,      Terry
P.S asll the files total about 5 Mb...

Edited By Terence Lynock on 25/03/2009 15:26:29

Hi Gemma,
                    hope they are of some use as they are the only Martin  A/B-26 plans I have come across, using the control line version converted for r/c you can probably build a quite convinicing model, may need some redrawing done though on the wing and a bit of lightening,

best regards,     Terry

P.S the Fw 189 plan should have straight sides to the fuselage not slightly rounded as per plan, the rest of it looks OK though.

• 1 month later...
I dont know if Id call it my dream project but its one I would like to have a crack at.
The harrier jump jet. My thoughts were to use foam construction with carbon reinforcing.
Use two high power electric fans. not side by side ,but one on top of the other.
I would try to drive lift with the bottom one and thrust with the other on separate channels.
Same principle as throttle and collective on my chopper.The project may require a third fan (unsure at the moment) so I can control pitch with separate fans also.For Pitch I would also use a gyro. I may look at moving thrusters instead of a third fan,.
Yea I know its extremely ambitious. But I love the challenge.
For now I will stick with my 1/4 scale sopwith pup kit by DB.
Thanks
Kiwi G

As a man once said "I have a dream", and my dream, or long term goal, is to build a one fifth scale, petrol powered, DH104 Dove.  
It is so very much a dream at the moment, as I have yet to join a club or buy any radio or kit.  I fully realise that it will take years and there will be other planes made and flown, flying skills honed and a lot of research done.  It will happen though as I think this aircraft looks so 'right'.
I do have some extended 3 view plans from the States, but if anyone does know of a decent set of plans, I would be grateful for the heads up.
All I want now is my shed (I've no space at the moment) to build the trainers and subsequent planes in, and then I'm off to the local club and join.

Wish me luck.