Mick Reeves Hurricane

Djay

Advert

Micks big Hurricane is recent, i am very tempted. But at 109" it is going take a fair bit of space. I spoke to Mick about it and his new 1/4 scale Spitfire, both electric.
The thing Ilike the most is you can buy in stages and spread the cost. The bit i dont like too much is the extensive use of Proskin to cover the fus.
Greggs is 1/5 and does look a good compromise
Cheers
Danny

Hi Andy, that was my thought exactly, the formers and sections would have to be reduced accordingly but it is do-able, as removing is easier than adding

I am not against proskin it really is great stuff, but I am not happy about skinning with it.

If I could have found a Turnigy 80-100 I may still consider it, but at the moment that motor is not available any more.

Cheers
Danny

• 1 year later...

Hi Danny

I love the look of Micks hurricane and would love to build one , but I have a DB sport & scale spit to finish first

why would you not want to skin with pro film

if you used balsa you would probably glass cloth it . wouldn't the pro film be lighter

Cheers

Dave

Ps if anyone know of a build blog I'd love to have a look

Pro skin and Pro film are totally different things David, the Film is as the name, and Pro skin is Epoxy Glass sheet in different thicknesses. It`s difficult to do curved areas of sheeting etc and if you look at it on Mick Reeves site he did a comparison where a normal balsa skinned then epoxy glassed wing was compared to a Pro Skin skinned wing, it worked out a bit cheaper using Pro skin and took less time as you dont have to lay up and sand / fill the glass, but weighed more overall