Getting involved.........

Tom T

Hello Everyone

I was wondering how would someone get involved in model shows..... As in not just the BMFA competitions i mean at places like Weston Park, Wings and Wheels etc. Do you have to own a shop to get involved or do you have to have a certain amount of certificates from competitions? just out of curiosity.

Cheers
Tom

Advert

haha... so not a trusty trainer Ok cool thanx The B certificate sounds hard to get though.....

Cheers
Tom

Tom,
The B is not really hard, its just practice practice practice. For me the part I struggled with was maintaining the same height doing the figure of 8 with the cross over in front of you.
I had a lot of air time trying to piece it all together, it was fine in the end. Then when the examiner was at my side watching I was a wreck!
But saying that its better to be nervous than full of it.

I say go for it, it is well worth all the effort. Lets hope we see you flying at the shows in a few years time.
I can just picture it.....

DB Sound saying 'Tom T, he's British you know!'

Rich

You need to be a really competant pilot to fly at a display with large numbers of the public who are unaware of the danger.
Start with a fly in at somewhere like Old Warden which is a public display but with smaller crowds who are mostly enthusiasts. So get a B cert, build an interesting model maybe Vintage or a scale model ( simple easy to fly and flown many times before so you can fly it easily ) and go to a fly in.   Remember to take your BMFA insurance cert too.

Edited By kc on 01/12/2011 11:36:40

Flying in front of people is really nerve racking......

The only time I've flown "in public" so to speak was a demo of a model for my sons local Beaver troop who were doing their Flight badge......I took a model down to the local playing fields to show them & fly for them......

It was the most nerve racking flying I have ever done....I'm sure they could hear my knees knocking & I had to switch in low rates to stop the model twitching because my hands were shaking so much.....

& yet I don't really know why.....it was a model I know backwards...very easy to fly....yes the area was a bit tight to fly in but nothing too bad....so why does doing a few circuits with the odd loop & roll in front of 20 six & seven year olds turn me into a nervous wreck.....

So I really can't imagine what it must be like at your first public display.......

Again try a fly in - Shameless plug for Greenacres - get used to being watched and see if it feels 'right'

Once my Sveno is built - some time away as I've not started, I will be taking it to shows, but intend to start at fly ins to get used to the experiance of flying in front of people outside my club. might even start with the webbit this year!

In my earlier days, I flew for our club - WMAC - at a few shows, eastnor park, much marcle, wroughton and so on, but they were a little lower key than the big shows of today. I found that once I was in the circuits, staying focussed on the flight tended to make me forget that there was an "audience". These days, the standard required to fly at the bigger shows is far higher than back then ( although we still needed a "B" cert. ) - this is mainly due to the huge advances in models and their potential.
Most of the show flyers I know either own modelling shops, or are very good club pilots who are sponsored by distributors /shops to a greater or lesser extent

Sorry i was so long to reply, i was at the striking organisation which like to call themselves a school , anyway i'll try getting my B soon.. We always have 2 main events at FMFC each year... Warbirds day and the BBQ fly in that always brings out alot of people ( around 70 people but Kings lynn models always come and bring a few...) I always go into a zone thing whenever i fly..... I can see how it would be nerve racking though .. especially if its new to you.... As you say.. i'll start small...

Richard Harris...... That would be soo funny!

Cheers
Tom

Hi Tom, as some of the others have said the trick is to start small with fly -ns and the like, gain experience at flying at different venues and in front of different people. For these events your A is all you need. The bigger events will require your B and it can be nerve racking the first time or two in front of the crowds. Competition flying is also a good thing to have a crack at as it will focus your flying discipline, its also good fun and will introduce you to many of the names and organisers of events which is never a bad thing either.
Lindsay

Thanx Lindsay Do you think it will be less nerve racking flying as a duo? For example if i got my Dad, Mum, Brother.. or the talented dog to fly as a duo team. Would it be easier or more difficult... Thank for all the help btw

Cheers
Tom

A whole bunch of good advice there Tom. Lots of flying, get comfortable with flying in any wind direction and as said, Fly-ins. The B, or in Scotland the Silver is the minimum requirement for public show Pilots. A model or models which the organisers of your target show would find acceptable is often a must. Normal smaller club size is often not what is needed, although sometimes they are accepted.

hould have said "either the B or Silver" is acceptable.

Edited By flytilbroke on 01/12/2011 19:39:08

Tom, get yourself and your dog through the B and I think you will give Steve and Matt Bishop with there BA Hawk Red Arrows some serious competition. Syncro flying is difficult, very difficult Steve and Matt make it look very easy, I hate to think how many hours of practice has gone into the display though.

Tom try to fly at as many different places as you can. It's surprising how you get used to the one field and it's surroundings.
The fly-in advice is spot on. Most fun fly-ins only require an A cert and are not only great experience, they are great fun too.
If you do a few, then you'll probably start to meet the same people again and again. Some of these guys will also be show pilots. I've not met one yet that isn't friendly and helpful.

Have a look at the events listings like "Going Places" in RCM&E and look out for events like the ones at Greenacres. (Shameless plug again for my club)
There will certainly be some events near you at some point in the year. Even flying at these is more nerve wracking than you'd think, but always a great experience.

Thanx I'll take a look at Greenacres and check the calender to make sure i'm free... Thanx for all of the advise i really appreciate it!
Lindsay: haha.... would be a spectacular as long as i can get the dog not to chew the sticks or be to frightened of the crowd.... He's frightened of the dark at the moment so who knows what he will be like.... i think i'll have to leave Mr Alfie Skywalker at home LOL.

As you all say it has to be a model that'll have the WOW Factor... something that is probably very expensive.... I may have to sell a few things.... be very nice to Parents/Relatives and get a part time job... :P haha

I try flying in different places... I've flown at the FMFC, the fields surrounding the house and on top of a mountain in Wales... I was so surprised at how the same plane could act and feel so differently in different climates. I always have a little electric aerobatic plane for the days out when theres no room for the Nitros so i'll try and fly it in more places to get a feel for different surroundings.

Cheers
Tom