The German

Tony Read

Advert

An interesting little film to be sure......

On a wider note though (& not meaning to take anything away from the film) but would an ME109 have been capable of reaching Ireland? It's well known that the ME109 didn't carry much fuel & could only hang around London for 20 mins before having to head for home.....could it get from London to Ireland in 20 mins??

Well...a bit of internet research tells me that the ME109 had a fast cruise range of 465 miles or 795 miles with the optional drop tank.

Boulogne in France is about 460 miles from Dublin so it is possible if extremely unlikely.....as you say Ben more likely to be bombers from raids on Liverpool or Bristol that headed west rather than east after dropping their loads.....

Still a good film though......

If he'd flown from the Brest area towards Plymouth, say, and then got disoriented he'd probably have had the range to make Ireland, I'd suspect. You'd go quite a long way in a straight line for 20 minutes worth of "combat" fuel.

Got to be less than 300 miles in a straight line?

Edited By Martin Harris on 13/12/2011 14:22:47

Well within range even at sea level according to the flight trials of "Black 9" during the war (bf109G)

At altitude it would have been a doddle...

88 gallon fuel tank, 316mph at 18000 feet, 5.6 mpg, range 410 miles and almost double the range at 210 mph....and with external tanks it had an astounding maximum range of 1250 miles!

The bit I found trouble believing was that both aircraft were able to crash land successfully with the level of damage sustained! 

Edited By Martin Harris on 13/12/2011 15:25:48

Posted by Martin Harris on 13/12/2011 15:11:46:

The bit I found trouble believing was that both aircraft were able to crash land successfully with the level of damage sustained!

A touch of over-enthusisam for the CGI, I believe, Martin. At that altitude they'd have both been deader than a quickly dead thing!

Nice twist at the end, enjoyed it

Pete

• 4 weeks later...
A great post and a good find. Very enjoyable. The flying sequences are very cool.

Thanks