New Glue

Geoff Smith 1

Advert

Hiya Ken. Thanks mate. And a Very Happy New Year to you and all in the H T P.

Cheers

Geoff..............Hoping it works 'cos it's holding my Telemaster together dept.

Geoff, I got some of those a few weeks ago too. I haven't used them all that much, but no complaints so far!

I also got some smaller tubes - maybe the ones that Bob mentioned - to keep in the flight box for those "oops" moments at the field. I haven't tried those (yet!) but they've got to be handy (and cheap enough!) to give away to other club members looking for "a drop of cyano".

Posted by Lee Damms on 31/12/2011 22:48:27:
Great stuff this I usually take some to the field, must admit I get a bit greedy when it comes to glue (well her indoors says its a fetish) got 5 cards worth of the stuff at the moment, keep sugesting at poundland they start selling aliphatic glue but I just get a blank look.

Hiya Lee, I'll have a go at our Poundland shop, they've only just opened so they might be acceptable to a request. Happy New Year mate.

Geoff..............Hungover dept.

Ive used this stuff for a while, and am very happy with it but...
I think it makes me ill. I've observed for a while that I experience cold like symptoms and breathing problems after using this stuff. The fumes are very noticeable.

I tend to avoid cyano when building and use low odour foam safe stuff when I have to use it. The drawback is the price!

I'd be interested to know others opinions on this in comparison with the brands you would buy from a model shop. Are the fumes worse? What do people think?

I use the "10 on a card for a quid " and its nice and thin ( which I like in most cases ) and havent noticed it fuming any worse that the expensive stuff. Excellent VFM
Works really well, and I actually like the fact that the tubes are really small..as they almost always end up empty and therefore discarded after just a couple of uses - so unlike the big expensive bottles rfom the LMS they never get a chance to clog!
No matter what I try with the bottles, ( expelling air, plugging with stopper, keeping refrigerated etc etc....) they always end up clogged
I think theres a bit of snake oil mythology with some glue brands, cyano is cyano.

That's interesting Bob and confirms what I had begun to suspect. Even small quantities of the cheap stuff seems to affect me. It may be all cyano but there is evidently some difference in the solvents used. The foam safe varieties obviously don't use the cheaper solvents that eat foam. There may be less unpleasant solvents in the premium brand ordinary cyano.

I'd be interested to know which brands you think affect you less.

I recently bought foam safe glue which doesn't affect me, but then it's ?7 a bottle. (ouch!)

I currently keep the cheap stuff in my flight box for field repairs and try and only use it outside.

This issue of health issues is an interesting one. There is a danger of drifting off topic here but I've picked up that polyeurethane resins ( ie wbpu) even though they are relatively odourless actually can give off some gases that sensitise the respiritary system while they are in liquid form.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 01/01/2012 15:36:39:
Maybe Tim, but some definitely produce more toxic fumes than others - I suffer from COPD and I can really tell the difference between cheap and the more expensive (almost) 'fume free' varieties.
Graham, the Poundland stuff definitely affects me badly if I get a lungful.

Hiya Bob, I suffer with COPD big time but I can honestly say that the fumes do not affect me, I can't even smell them. I do work in a very large cold attic and I wonder if this disperses the fumes more quickly.

Cheers mate

Geoff..............something or other dept.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by GrahamC on 01/01/2012 16:30:50:
That's interesting Bob and confirms what I had begun to suspect. Even small quantities of the cheap stuff seems to affect me. It may be all cyano but there is evidently some difference in the solvents used. The foam safe varieties obviously don't use the cheaper solvents that eat foam. There may be less unpleasant solvents in the premium brand ordinary cyano.

The two products are entirely different, there should be no solvents in either, some of the cheapo imported grades have dilutents in.

High quality `Standard` cyanoacrylates ( ethyl cyanoacrylate for example our thin cyano ca001) is over 99.5% ethyl cyanoacrylate, with a few trade secret trace additives that vary the exact performance stability, adhesion and cure speed , thick cyano is virtually identical but thickened by adding of 5 to 10% of PMMA ( perspex) powder, the pmma powder

Odourless foam safe cyanoacrylates are odourless due to chemical makeup of the molecule, a standard CA is an alky group cyano but odourless are alkoxy alkyl cyanoacrylates , they have 2 groups , the added group on the beta chain increases the weight of the cyano molecule making it too heavy to float around so it has no odour and does not fog things.

The differences in how irritant two types of the standard ethyl grade is just down to how pure it is and what its stabilised with
A very very pure cyano such as our starloc fivestar brand cyanos can have lower stabilisers for manufacture, the imported stuff has high levels of stabilisers as its less pure,
We use a low toxicity liquid stabiliser with low vapor pressure to keep the CA liquid in the bottle , low quality formulas use high levels of sulfur dioxide and this makes the more irritant and lowers the strength over time. The low quality cyanos ( often listed on msds as 60 to 80% cyanoacrylate) generally are more irritant, due to high levels of impurities and higher levels of stabiliser to compensate, diy shop cyano is usually diluted with a plasticiser to make it cheaper , again the plasticisers make the glue unstable so more stabiliser is required, many china sources cyanos contain a small amount of solvents again to reduce the cost.
The trace additives in a cyano are the secret to the performance of any certain formula. Tiny ( a small number of parts per million ) amounts of hydroquinone, we add low level of a liquid stabiliser ( not sulfor dioxide unlike the imports ) , there is also a catylist that varies in composition between grades and brands in the bottle this varies the speed and performance on certain surfaces

We also add more additives to increase toughness, impact resiatnce and adhesion . Adding a few parts per million of certain compounds can increase strength and adhesion on certain surfaces, impact resistance or make the glue waterproof

Edited By StarLoc FiveStar Adhesives on 14/01/2012 13:27:45

Wow that’s what you call an answer!

So Starloc… Are you saying that if the cheap stuff seems to affect me, I should give your stuff a go because it might not? I’m using Bob Smith Industries Odourless at the moment, which is pricey stuff, but it doesn’t seem to have the nasty side-effects on my breathing.

I have noticed that the cheap stiff has got quite an acrid whiff to it if you get too close.

Have you tried a humidifier in the room or hot water in a saucer near to your work bench? the higher level of moisture in the air cuts the fumes of the standard ethyl cyano right down.

• 2 weeks later...