'Flight' archives on-line

John  Bunting

The ‘Flight’ archives, going back to 1909, are worth browsing for general interest or unusual types for scale modelling etc.They had a regular model page in the early days, and I was surprised to find a model using sheet and strip balsa published in May 1921. I always though balsa didn’t come into use in the UK until about 1930.

Ever heard of an aircraft called the Jacuzzi? No kidding; it was a seven-seat monoplane made by Jacuzzi Bros., of Berkeley, California. See ‘Flight’, March 3rd 1921, p. 147. Whether they were also the makers of the other Jacuzzi, it didn’t say.

Advert

I posted the following a couple of years ago in a separate thread. Hope I won't incur the displeasure of the mods by re-posting:-
If you’re interested in the history of modelling, have a look at the Flight International magazine web-site at Very old models..This is the first page (page 159) of several photos of models on display at Olympia circa 1911-12.The pages showing models are 159-168, and 179-180. The pictures are effectively thumbnails, and when clicked on will enlarge to show remarkable detail. I particularly like the airship on p163.It appears to have variable incidence (preset) biplane wing appendages, and has either lost its' front(?) propeller or is an early attempt at ducted fan!And is that a pressure nipple or release valve on the top of the envelope?It appears to have been built to fly, but I can’t believe it ever did. Flights of fancy existed even then.By contrast, the models shown on pages 168 and 179 exhibit superb workmanship.

Whoops.  Some of the images seem to have been replaced since I last looked at them. Still, there are a couple still there.  Sorry. 

Edited By Phil Brooks on 03/01/2012 01:52:42

Edited By Phil Brooks on 03/01/2012 02:04:40

Posted by Terry Walters on 03/01/2012 09:18:47:
Hi John - thanks for a really great link. Lots of lovely stuff on there. Will occupy me far too much!

Terry

Yes - its deadly. You start looking and the next thing 2 hours have past!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 03/01/2012 10:07:05