Covering advice

Hiya all. I am building a Micro Telemaster. I can foresee a problem when it comes to covering it. I suffer badly with COPD so doping is out 'cos the fumes will stop me. I have just built the stabiliser and it is very, very fragile and I think ordinary Solafilm will crush it when shrunk. I think the wings and fuselage will be ok. Can any one advise me on alternate methods which will suit this application.
Cheers all

Geoff........... decrepit dept.

Advert

Posted by Chris Bott on 04/01/2012 22:16:36:
Is the Telemaster tail an open structure? If so how does Poly C work with this. I had assumed that it was just for covering sheeted surfaces.

me too

Hiya all, thanks for this information gentlemen, it is much appreciated. Yes the stabiliser is of open construction, made using 1/8sq, hence the fragility. 1/3 of the leading edge has gone already in sanding to l/e shape. In explanation, I have no modelling budget and will have to go with what I got, so I have doubled up on the leading edge by inserting pieces behind the original between the cross members. Should this not work I will change the stabiliser to a solid unit.
Cheers all

Geoff...............Belt tightening dept.

Hello Geoff . Litespan will be fine for the light structure you descibe ,i really rate it but dont use balsa loc to attach it or you will be dissapointed . I use Solalac Clear Cote for fixing it but it does smell and as you suffer from the fumes that will not suit you . I have tried an adhesive designed for this sort of coverin made by Deluxe materials , I think its called CoverGrip. Its water based doen't smell and is much better than Balsa loc and doesn't come unstuck . make sure you apply a coat to all spars and ribs were the covering will touch as when its been shrunk tight you will have to go over these with your iron and this will lock the airframe into shape and stop any warps creeping . Another tip for using light span is to stretch it around corners or double curves with a hot air gun. It really sticks to and forms well to the corners ; just leave plenty of spare covering to get hold of when doing the corners. When you have covered one side of a panel and trimmed it Coat the edge of litespan with a thin coat of Cover Grip where the covering from the second side will overlap and stick to. As said in previously post get the litespan as tight as you can before shrinking ,also look for the grain in it that should run lenghtways along any panels you cover.It doesn't need any proofing as its already fuel proof and sealed . If you use the lighter AirSpan then it will need a sealing coat as its porous.Hope it helps
E.D.