Seagull Harvard as a Trainer ??

john sessions

Hi All.

Can anybody please give me some advice, I have been bought a Seagull A6 Texan, (Harvard) 6 foot wingspan, I have to buy the engine and all the rest of the gear, Will it be possible for me to learn to fly on this aircraft, (I do have a good basic knowledge of flying but it was on real aircraft, Chipmunk and Tucano, I understand Lift, Drag, Stall, Flaps, Over compensating on the stick) The texan is a lovely aircraft and i would really love to fly it. or am I on a none starter.

Advert

John, Hi and welcome.

The simple answer is no, bad idea for a trainer.

Get a standard high wing type - the Seagull Cessna trainer is a good one - cut your teeth on this. Your experience will come in handy in the long run but not until you've learnt the hand eye co-ordination required to fly. In our office here we sit opposite a chap who is a full size flyer who also dabbles with RC. In his opinion flying an RC model is harder.

The Harvard is a nice model but put it away for a year until the trainer has done its work. Assume you're joining a club?

David 

Thank you all for your very helpful replies, well itt looks as if I will have to buy a trainer, I have read the raves and reviews on the latest new P51Mustang PT (Progressive Trainer) and it looks very nice although only a 54" wingspan, Its a new inovasion from Hangar 9 and its got rave reviews so I think I will go for this, If anybody has got one I wouldnt mind some feedback.

You really don't need to spend much on a trainer. A simple high wing profile, such as the Protech or Seagull trainer or similar will suffice. These kits are simple enough to build and be flying in 7 days.

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=85

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=2151

Don't spend too much on it as it is after all, a trainer. And whilst you're flying the trainer, you can still build the harvard.

I have seen the Mustang PTS, and it's quite impressive as a concept and flies well , but very under-powered once you have mastered it, and needs to be up-graded with a different engine....which is quite a downer....oh, and the OE 3 blade prop is quite useless!

You are obviously a scale fan, so go with a high winger, but NOT a Piper Cub [unless it is one of those sold as a trainer], there are some nice scale high wing trainer types around, but just bear in mind that trainers look the way they do as they are designed to be robust, and tolerate the inevitable hard knocks. Also, tail draggers [although I must admit, I started on them] are more difficult to handle on the ground than tricycle UC.....the point is, if you build a really nice DH Beaver, or whatever.....it might not look nice for very long....hence those "horrible" trainers!

Hi Russ, Possible, but a few problems...ie you are not only learning to fly, you are learning to set things up, and generally understand your systems. Also, double the outlay, chargers, batterys, etc for electric, then fuel systems, starter, etc for I.C. But most important, when you move onto the smelly things, you will be competent at getting the devious little things to do what you want.

ernie