Hobbyking.com is it a bad word???

Daithi

I am not sure what the argument/discussion is about, other than semantics.

Vat value increases (normally) at each stage,

Intermediate stages pay out, then receive back the vat when sold on, until the final point of sale. Then we, Joe public, cannot claim back the Vat

What is there to disagree about?

Advert

It is an important point, that vat is only except for sales under I thought £15, now.

The principal of avoiding additional charges by importers adding value is important, in minimiising costs at the point of sale. All the office charges, reps, distribution cost, all add value (as far as vat is concerned) That is why the present UK distribution model, with lots of middlemen, is bad news from minimising Tax due and hence high cost (relative to shed operations) at the point of sale.

I've been using Hobbyking a lot just lately because they are so cheap and my LHS is only 5 miles away and always seem to be busy when i go in there but they are a lot more expensive than HK and i know why but i go where i get the best price,which seems to be more online than ever and just use my LHS for odds and sods.
I wish i could go to the LHS more as i like the human interaction plus looking over the things i buy, but if that means paying through the nose for i'm sorry but i go online instead.

Oh for those who might not know Hobbyking is about to open a UK warehouse around March time (from a mod on there forum said) and i think you will find it's going to be up north some where but not as far as Scotland from what i have read.
Lets just hope they get it well stocked up from day one and not with just batteries and a few other odds and sods like they did when they first opened the German warehouse.
I think you will find Hobbyking have been getting a hard time from the German government/Taxman because of the RC competition over there don't like them for some reason from what i've read over on there forum,so this could be another reason they are coming over hear plus more outlets more money.

All i can say is we could do with more hobby stores/warehouses like Hobbyking as that might help with bringing the prices down a bit more,i can only but dream

At least you HAVE a LHS Startazz - the only one in Belfast stopped doing stick and tissue (or fabric/solertex/whathaveyou) gear a long time ago and, as I said before, if I need wire, carbon rod, etc, I have to take a 40 mile round trip to a seaside town or order online.

Even with the p&p it's still a cheaper option for me. I'd support anywhere I can get to without having to make a day trip out of it

I have been getting free chrome turnigy badges in the latest orders ,had a bad day at the field yesterday after a mornings flying , yesterday evening i was organizing all of the stuff and cleaning the models and found I had left my transmitter turned on and killed a brand new Li-Po transmitter pack in the process one cell only registered 0.4 volts !!!!
Back online to HK again, got a Wilga 2000 too looks like the Graupner one

Yep HobbyKing have been giving free stuff away since before Xmas and they are still doing it as i've just been over there today and they will give you a sweet mini/micro plane away today with your order,as long as it's over $100 which in my case seems like i spend well more than that every time i buy from them anyway oh you will have to pay for the postage on the FREE item.

• 3 weeks later...
I have placed a seconed order with Hobbyking, i think it will be the last, the first order came damaged not enough packaging around the goods and a long time getting it.
The seconed order for 7small bottles of ca took 15 days from order to dispatch and everything was in stock and im still waiting for it.
awful service.
I will stick with the UK outlets like SMC and Giant Cod, first class outfits

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 07/02/2012 18:51:28

The decision is yours SR71.

Then again we all are entitled to make our decisions, in my case, i will continue using them (HK), as I find the service and prices suits my needs. A happy customer. Then again I find GC and to a lesser extent I have found BRC and Robotbirds also suit my needs.

What you probably ran into SR was the Chinese New Ywear the warehouse shut down for a week - then when they got back there would be a large number of back orders that had to be taken care of. If you ordered your stuff at the end of the celebrations, then you'd be held in the inevitable backlog.

As arriving here - well at that point you are at the mercy of the Hong Kong postal service and then the Royal Snail and it's a bit unfair to blame the original shipper for delays after it leaves the warehouse

I do recall ordering a RTF Top Gun Piper Super Cub from a certain place who did a mail shot because I happen to subscribe to a certain magazine (no names - no pack drill) taking about two MONTHS to arrive - it would seem that between my ordering and despatch they ran out of stock

It must be a bad word as my last posting was deleted for bad language
Any way just got the HK EDF Vampire and its a "Blooming" good model we now have a couple flying at the club and they are brilliant although the retracting nose wheel is a bit weak for grass so my one will be hand launched and bellylanded

• 1 month later...

Am fascinated by the comments above re HK:have never seen them advertised down here in any rc mags but going to a web-site who pops up "on the side" with a promo----H.K. Has any-one tried the "live talk" with H.K.very slow & non productive. Even though after announcing the appointment of some new techno expert,questions put to them yielde very little & always directed to the forum. Boasting about qualified staff means little if they can't provide basic information about the products they sell. And yes I think it is important to shop locally when the deal is "right"